ARIZARD-L Archives

Archiver > ARIZARD > 2001-06 > 0992344588

From: "Rosemary Kenney" <>
Subject: RE: [ARIZARD-L] New Discoveries, Etc. - Jean
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 06:16:28 -0500

Dear Cousin,

I looked at the genealogy info you had at the reunion - it showed something
I'd often wondered about:

1. Martin LAWRENCE and Jemimy UNKNOWN
2. James LAWRENCE, b. 1788, NC, d. 1859, Mt. Olive, Izard County, AR
m. (1) Sally TUCKER, b. abt. 1792, TN, d. abt 1820, Lincoln Co., TN
m. (2) Cynthia Ann FRANKS, b. 1807, TN, d. 1865, Mt. Olive, Izard County,
AR.
Children of James and Cynthia:
3. William Martin LAWRENCE, b. 13 Mar 1823, Marion Co, AL, d. Jan 14, 1896,
Izard Co.
3. Nancy LAWRENCE, b. 1825, Fayette Co., AL, d. 25 Feb 1871, AR
3. Gracey Ann LAWRENCE, b. 1827, Fayette Co., AR
3. Joshua G. LAWRENCE, b. 1830, Fayette Co., AL, d. 1872-75
3. Jacob LAWRENCE b. 1833, AL, buried Erin Springs, Lindsay Co., OK
3. James Francis "Jim" LAWRENCE, b. 13 Feb 1834, Fayette Co., AL, d. 15
April 1906, Izard County, AR, buried Lawrence Cemetery, Izard County,
AR
m. Lucinda A. MAYFIELD, b. 15 Feb 1841, TN, d. 1 April 1886, Izard
County, AR.

I believe the sisters, Nancy and Grace "Gracey" Ann, are two who married
Jeffery "cousins":

----------------------------
Dempsey Wair JEFFERY, son of Daniel and Mary "Polly" Bowcock-Bland, grandson
of James and Jane Mason Jeffery, to Gracie Ann LAWRENCE, daughter of James
and Cynthia FRANKS LAWRENCE.
----------------------------
Jesse and Dempsey's uncle, Daniel Mason JEFFERY, Sr., married Nancy
LAWRENCE, also a daughter of James and Cynthia FRANKS LAWRENCE.
----------------------------

But what about SAMANTHA? You don't show a listing for her above as a child
of James and Cynthia FRANKS LAWRENCE:

Cynthia FRANKS who married James LAWRENCE and they had a daughter, Samantha.
Samantha Lawrence married Jesse JEFFERY [not THE Jesse Jeffery! - but Jesse,
the son of Daniel Jeffery/Mary "Polly" (Bowcock-Bland), grandson of
James/Jane (Mason) Jeffery]. Samantha and Jesse's daughter, Mary Levina
"Mollie", married Millard Fillmore HANKS (mine and Elvada's great-great
grandparents).

Below are 1850 census records that list SAMANTHA:

1850 Izard County Census
---- ROCKY BAYOU TOWNSHIP ----

198LAWRENCEWilliam54?Farmer
Mary43TN
Benjamin19AR
Rachael21TN
Sally17AR
BeverageM14AR
William12AR
Nancy J.8AR
James H.2AR

201LAWRENCEJames62VAFarmer
Cyntha46NC
Joshua20ALFarmer
Jacob18ALFarmer
James14AL
Samantha13AL
Elizabeth11LA
John10AR
George W.4AR

The kindness of strangers in "small-town" Arkansas is something, I think,
you'd find just about anywhere but I'm glad you found so much of it in
Arkansas! :-)

Elvada, Noel and I will have to make the old MAYFIELD Cemetery one for our
"excursion" list. I'm sure we could call Carroll Hayden and he could tell
us just how to get to it. :-)

Rosemary

This thread: