ARIZARD-L Archives

Archiver > ARIZARD > 2002-07 > 1027705243

Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Ben and Gabriel CHISM (Bernie)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 13:45:23 EDT

Bernie, I noticed this last evening, but forgot to mention when I just posted
it. Look how they (arbitrarily ???) show all but one of these children as
being born on the first day of the month. If this was really from family
information, suppose they did this so they wouldn't have to remember dates?
Have you ever noticed how many December 25 babies there were? It seems to me
they moved those dates around for the ease of remembering them.

Another thing I notice is how people -- later in life -- claim certain dates
of birth. Sometimes you'll see someone saying they were born, say in 1883,
but they were shown in the 1880 census. I have found some information
(online) that shows siblings born in the same month and year -- which appears
that they claimed certain birth dates later in life.

Not everyone had a bible to enter this information -- and in our world of
paper, we just don't realize how scarce a sheet of paper was -- and people
didn't get these names and dates set down at the time and did them later from
memory. As we know, some memories are not very good!

Peggy in Tulsa
* * *
Kevin Kiser & Cindy Taylor-Kiser families in Tennessee
Entries: 24437 Updated: Sun Feb 17 17:53:18 2002 Contact: Cindy
Taylor-Kiser <>

ID: I18399
Name: Gabriel CHISM
Sex: M
Birth: 1 Mar 1868

Father: James H. CHISM
Mother: Sarah Jane BLANKENSHIP b: ABT. 1835

Marriage 1 Elizabeth BLANKENSHIP b: Mar 1870 in Izard Co., AR
Children
Lorena M. CHISM b: 1 Jan 1889
David W. CHISM b: 1 Sep 1890
William Ernest CHISM b: 1 Apr 1892 in Izard Co., AR
Enoch M. CHISM b: 1 Aug 1895
Homer T. CHISM b: Dec 1897
Owen W. CHISM b: 1 Sep 1899
* * *