ARIZARD-L Archives

Archiver > ARIZARD > 2004-12 > 1103641010

From: Don Ott <>
Subject: James Jeffery
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 08:56:50 -0600

All of this is "Family Tradition" and I have little evidence, will note
what I have found. James Jeffery of ,Sussex, England was dispatched on a
prison debtors ship "Smith" on 30 Sep 1730. This was a ship contracted at
this time by the "Crown of England" to transport prisoners to the colonies.
James was reported to have come from the debtors prison but I have no
proof. This could have been James Isaac Jeffery. The ship records are
available.
Some say this James was the father of the James Jeffery that we know born
in VA ca 1759 that came to Mount Olive, Izard, Arkansas.
Isaac Jeffery came to America about 1766, some say he had participated in
the revolution against the King of England in 1764. I am not sure the
connection of this Isaac to the above James, however it is said that the
above James was the son of an Isaac Jeffery in England.
I am also told that James Jeffery may have had a brother born in England
about 1755 and his name was Jessee who came to America in 1764. This Jessee
was a counterfeiter, I do not believe that any of his descendants came to
Arkansas.

Now a bit of real history. As you know James Jeffery b. ca 1759 VA married
Jane Mason. You will recognize the Mason name in early American History.
She was well educated, raised in Alexander VA, went to medical school and
became a mid-wife. She was estranged from her husband at the time of her
death because he did not want her to continue mid-wifery and she felt she
must help people. This was the first couple that I know that came to Mount
Olive, Izard, Arkansas. They are both buried at the Mount Olive, Jeffery
Cemetery.

I have tried to trace many of the Cherokee Indians that came through
Arkansas on the "Trail of Tears" to Oklahoma. The whites had married into
almost all of these Indian families. If you trace them back to VA, you can
find a very consistent pattern of white men marrying Indian women and as
you know the lineage is by the female. So many Indians who were half-blood
had a white father and some took that name. I do not have any of this
family in my Indian research but that does not mean they are not there.
Many tried to hide their Indian heritage in those days to avoid being moved
west.
Don

This thread: