ARIZARD-L Archives

Archiver > ARIZARD > 2004-12 > 1104460376

From: "Bernie Moore-Knowles" <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Moore, Ozburn, Spradlin and Rice - Don
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 20:33:33 -0600

Well, now that you ask? LOL

I tell you why I was curious and too, this is the first time that I have
ever seen the Rice surname come across any lists that I subscribe to.

My father was born in 1917 in a little community called Running Lake - near
Pocahontas; in Randolph Co., Arkansas. Named as such, because I was told
that it always flooded. His father's name Arthur Samuel Moore and the best
that I can come up with is that he was born circa 1885.

Arthur Samuel Moore appears to have died circa 1924. My father said that he
was seven when his father died - leaving his mother with five children to
feed. A common story, it seems? The Moore children were: Leonard,
Pauline, L. A. (my father), Loeula and Euell (twins).

No one in the Moore family knows where to find the final burial place for my
paternal grandfather. No one that is still alive, at least.

I did get one hint many years ago..............

Seems that my father's oldest brother; Leonard Moore married a Juanita
Spradlin. Juanita's family has deep roots in Randolph Co. Their oldest
daughter; Wanda - who like my oldest sister; was born during the Depression
and before Leonard and Juanita and their children moved to California.

Wanda Lee Moore it seems was first married to a Rice when she was real
young. Wanda, when asked if she knew where our Moore grandfather was
buried, replied; "On the Rice farm; there near Pocahontas."

Hmmm...............what Rice farm?

Wanda also said that Mr. Moore and his in-laws (the Ozburns) all died within
days of each other and of the same ailment. I am assuming then that they
were all buried in the same place. I also guessing that whomever this Rice
family was; whose land they are buried on - the family must have been
working for them in some manner.

Sooooooo................that is why I asked you about the Rice family.

And trust me, we all love to see you post - always informative.

Bernie Moore-Knowles
Papa'aloa, Hawai'i

"Swaying palms in paradise........"