ARIZARD-L Archives

Archiver > ARIZARD > 2007-07 > 1184959109

From: "Bernie Moore-Knowles" <>
Subject: [ARIZARD] Jane Mason Jeffery?
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 09:18:29 -1000

Hi guys

Got a wonderful email from one of our old favorites - well, she is young, but old to the List? LOL But, got an email from Elvada and she is wondering if anyone has learned anything additionally about Jane Mason (1769-1853) - wife of James "Old Jim" Jeffery II (1759-1843)?

Elvada tells me that an LDS contributor has that Jane was the daughter of George Mason and Ann Eibeck. She has doubts on this parentage.

My records show that Jane's father was a Samuel F. Mason, Sr. from Wales and unknown mother was an American citizen.

Here are my notes to file on Jane Mason and have to tell you that the research is pretty dated:

Subj: Re: [ARIZARD-L] Jane Mason in Virginia
Date: 09/14/2000
From: (Jean Mayfield Cuevas)
Hi Beth,Thanks for explaining where you are coming from. The two brothers, Daniel and Nathaniel both married BRASHEARS sisters. The third possibility was of a Samuel who lived in Greene County, MO., According to Snyder Roberts' book, Roots of Roane. It was also suggested that Daniel died in Greene County, and his body was shipped back for buriel to Roane County.

>From Snyder Roberts Book:
One unverified report is to the effect that Daniel Mason made a trip to Missouri about 1835 to help in the settlement of the estate of his brother Samuel, Jr. This report is significant because, if confirmed, it would mean that Daniel's father was Samuel, Sr. The report also indicates that Daniel Mason died in Missouri, but records in Roane County indicate that he died in Roane in August of 1839. Unfortunately, the Roane probate records in listing the children of Daniel and Martha (2nd wife) used no commas. hence the above listing could be in slight error."

So, we still have a ways to go, in the gathering of MASON information, but
that's why it's so exciting when we get a new MASON contact, as has
happened in the past half year. (One just within the past couple of weeks).

As for anyone going to Illinois.....

I see Franklin County, TN and Hopkins County, TX mentioned in the records of descendants of Daniel and Polly Brashears Mason, according to a descendant. No IL mentioned, I don't think.

At 02:57 PM 9/14/00 -0400, you wrote:
Jean, Jane Mason's brothers were Daniel and Nathaniel both married Brashear in TN, third was Samuel, right? Daniel and Samuel were later in MO? Daniel in Greene Co? Where did Nathaniel die, in TN or IL? Didn't one of those brothers move to IL? Or have I confused another line of Mason?Thanks! Beth

Marriage record? Mason, Samuel F. in Johnson County, Arkansas 1846 Will Bk A. P. 62.

And finally a chart that I have pieced together and with nothing etched in stone:

Descendants of Samuel F. Mason, Sr.

1 Samuel F. Mason, Sr. b: in Wales

.. +? b: in United States

........ 2 Jane Mason b: 1769 in Kingston, Alexandria, Old Virginia d: 1853 in Mt. Olive, Izard Co., Arkansas Burial: Izard Co., Arkansas

............ +James "Old Jim" Jeffery II b: 1759 in Virginia m: 1785 in Kingston, Alexandria, Old Virginia d: 1843 in Mt. Olive, Izard Co., Arkansas Burial: Old Jeffery Cemetery-Mt. Olive, Izard Co., Arkansas

........ 2 Daniel Mason b: 1770 in Potomoc River, Virginia or Maryland d: August 1839 in Roane Co., Tennessee

............ +Mary "Polly" Brashears b: March 13, 1776 in Guilford Co., North Carolina m: May 01, 1796 in Knox Co., Tennessee d: 1819 in Roane Co., Tennessee

........ *2nd Wife of Daniel Mason:

............ +Martha "Patsy" Hicks b: 1797 in North Carolina m: May 20, 1819 in Roane Co., Tennessee d: Aft. 1850 in probably Greene Co., Missouri

........ 2 Nathanial Mason b: in Potomoc River, Virginia or Maryland

............ +Phoebe Brashears m: July 09, 1801 in Roane Co., Tennessee

........ 2 Samuel F. Mason, Jr. d: July 27, 1835 in Spadra Bluffs, Johnson Co., Arkansas

Anyone have anything that they might could add? Any Jeffery researchers? Beth?

Bernie Moore-Knowles
Papa'aloa, Hawai'i