ARIZARD-L Archives

Archiver > ARIZARD > 2008-02 > 1201908316

From: "Bernie Moore-Knowles" <>
Subject: [ARIZARD] Rand, Hand and a Smothers marriage
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 13:25:16 -1000

Hey guys?

I have had just a real interesting email from a Smothers descendant. Elisha (b1800) and his son of Elisha (b1836).

This involves the Hand and Rand families, also. So, if anyone is researching these families as I am - you might want to listen up? LOL

We are looking for a Smothers marriage to a Frances. This marriage would have been in either Marion or Baxter Counties and circa 1898.

I BELIEVE that the Smothers groom was named Franklin. Frances was evidently nicknamed Sis and the descendant was told that either Frances or her mother was buried in the Bottoms.

Now...........where is the Bottoms? What are they refering to here, you think? The Bottoms?

I know from this email contact that Frances died on November 19, 1905 - giving birth to her daughter; Sylivia Gertrude Smothers. There was a son named Franklin E. "Jake" Smothers (b1899) and he was the firstborn. Jake died during WWI, evidently.

Second born was a James Maryland "Pete" Smothers and he was born on February 26, 1900, per my records. I have no further information on him.

The three children of Frances and the Smothers gentleman were raised by Sarah Elizabeth Smothers and her husband; William J. Hand. Sarah was a sister to the Smothers that Frances was married to and once again; I do believe his name was Franklin Smothers (b1858).

So, lots of questions - and am enlisting your help on this one, folks. Can anyone help? Rand researchers? Hand?

Who was this Frances? Mother of the three Smothes children?

03 May 1910 Baxter Co., Arkansas census, Union Township:
HAND, William J. head M W 48 md/1 25 yrs AL GA AL
#169/177 Sarah E. wife F W 49 md/1 25 yrs 9/8 AR US US
William A. son M W 19 single AR AL AR
George E. son M W 17 single AR AL AR
Sallie daughter F W 15 single AR AL AR
Leroy E. son M W 11 single AR AL AR
John O. son M W 8 single AR AL AR
Dueard A. son M W 3 single AR AL AR
SMOTHERS, Jake nephew M W 11 single AR US AR
Merlin nephew M W 10 single AR US AR
Sylvia G. niece F W 5 single AR US AR

Where was Frances and her Smothers husband in 1900?

Bernie Moore-Knowles
Papa'aloa, Hawai'i