ARIZARD-L Archives

Archiver > ARIZARD > 2008-03 > 1204572222

From: Marsha Boles <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD] Bennett's Bayou - Hunter Wilson
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 11:23:42 -0800 (PST)

Thanks Evalyn,
Now I can't find either Hunter or Margaret in my FTM files. Guess that's called having an electronic 'senior moment'. I hate it when that happens!!!
Marsha

Evalyn Champion <> wrote:
William Hunter Wilson, Born 1840 in SC or GA to William Wilson and Sina Galloway. he died December 18, 1893 in Bennett's Bayou, Baxter County Co. AR He married (1) Minerva J. Driscoll July 04, 1866 in DeKalb Co., AL She was born abt 1847 and died January 04, 1870 in DeKalb Co., AL He married (2) Martha Graves December 25, 1870 in DeKalb Co., AL daughter of Hiram Graves and Judy Brown. She was born December 1846 in DeKalb Co., AL and died 1920 in Baxter Co., AR. The 1900 Census states that she had 4 children and only 1 was alive (Billy Hiram). The other children's buriala records are found in Athens Cemetery.

Marsha Boles wrote:
Was Hunter Wilson married to Margaret Graves?
Marsha

Evalyn Champion wrote:
My Wilson's lived in Bennett's Bayou. Hunter Wilson was brother to my great grandfather Robert "Uncle Bob" Wilson who lived and died in Violet Hill. Our own Vera Reeves had this post in 2002. June....isn't the Athens Cemetery just down the road from you. i believe some of the family is buried there. I've been on the farm visiting Uncle Billy Harms( Hiram?) Wilson. Guess I was IN Bennett's Bayou! I have rocks from there. I was just a teenager so it was a LONG time ago.

Evalyn Champion

Mountain Echo, Yellville newspaper index
by Margie Garr

Dec 22, 1893
Murdered: Hunter Wilson and his wife was shot by robbers who also set fire
to their house. Mrs Wilson crawled out before the fire reached her. They
lived on Bennetts Bayou on the Salem Road 20 miles east of Mountain Home.

Mar 2, 1894
Murdered by a mob: Bart Carter and Jasper Newton in Baxter County. The had
supposedly murdered Hunter Wilson.

> Jeff,
> I have the original newspaper article that was in the Citizen-Extra in
Mountain Home, AR dated Feb. 26, 1894.
> It is a long article, but I will give you some info and if you are
interested in more, I can try and scan a copy of the article and send it to
you.
> Bart Carter, Anderson Carter (Bart's father), and Jasper Newton robbed and
murdered Hunter Wilson. It only makes reference to a Mrs. Anderson Carter
(and I have been searching census records for her name and family, but it
makes it difficult because the 1890 census are gone. I have not found a
connection on the 1900 yet. Anyway about 150 men came to the jail and
over-powered the jailer. They unlocked the jail and began shooting. The
men died protesting their innocence. Having completed their work the mob
quietly left. Many are believed to live in Fulton Co., AR and Ozark Co.,
MO. I think the murders happened in Fulton Co., AR (haven't checked their
census records yet.) I have been trying to make a connection because this
copy was kept by Angus Alexander Browning in 1894 (he died in 1896), and a
note written on it says, ". . . must have had bank robbers in the family."
Angus's sister married a Carter and his niece married J. A. 'Gus' Carter who
was at one time a pub!

"Wilma (Younger) Norton" wrote:
Don and all who responded,

The couple I was trying to follow in the census are my great-grand aunt and
uncle, William Drury Burruss/Burris and Matilda (Maxey). I found William
starting in 1860 Union Twp. Marion Co., age 11. Couldn't find him in 1870,
found him in 1880 in Water Creek Twp, Marion Co., age 30. Then in 1900
census he was in DeSoto Twp., Marion Co., age 51. And I last found him in
1910 census in Bennetts Bayou Twp, Fulton Co.

I was wondering if possibly the county lines had moved, and the township
names had changed -- or did they move about so much? I thought that since
he was a farmer, he would have remained in the same location????

I've been trying to find a death date for him -- I believe he is buried in
the Ott Cemetery, along with Matilda. But there are no dates on the
markers. I found a William D. Buris in the AR Death Index online, and have
sent for the death cert. Just don't know if this is him or not. I have
photos of the markers, it looks like a funeral home type of marker that has
been set in a cement block, and probably had dates at one time, but they are
no longer legible.

If I get to make a trip over to Marion Co. soon, I had hoped to see if I
could find out which funeral home might have been in existence around 1921
(when Matilda died) and 1924 when I think William may have died. And
hopefully if the funeral home is still there, I will be able to get more
information.

Thanks for all your help -- it wasn't the bayou/river/stream or other body
of water I was wondering about. It was the township named Bennett's Bayou.
It evidently didn't survive to the present time -- no name like that on my
Arkansas map.

Wilma