ARIZARD-L Archives

Archiver > ARIZARD > 2009-03 > 1236362651

From: Beth Cooper <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD] Where the butter?
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 10:04:11 -0800 (PST)

Boy, don't you wish we could properly identify those 196 slaves?
We might really know who is buried in some of our cemeteries, huh?
Brings to mind a question, you expert slave researchers what was the
first census they were identified by name? I haven't been there in awhile but
it seems I do remember 1850 USFed Cen having names, I think.

Thanks for that, Janice
Beth

Another tidbit -

IZARD - a county in the N. part of Arkansas; area, 880 square miles. It is intersected by White river. The surface is diversified; the soil is fertile, producing wheat, maize, oats, and excellent pasture. In 1850 there were raised 173,479 bushels of Indian corn; 7054 of wheat; 12,090 of oats, and 46,779 pounds of butter were made. It contained 7 saw mills, 8 churches, and 195 pupils attending public schools. The White river is navigable for boats. The county is ample supplied with water-power. Capital, Mount Olive. Pop., 3213, of whom 3017 were free, and 196 slaves.

Taken from the 1854 U.S. Gazetter, J, p. 530

This thread: