ARIZARD-L Archives

Archiver > ARIZARD > 2009-03 > 1236397462

From: PEGGY TRUESDELL <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD] Izard County Africans (Janice)
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 19:44:22 -0800 (PST)

Thank you, Janice, for posting Dale HANKS' website.  I spent several hours perusing it this evening and found it informative and thought-provoking.

When I was in Fifth Grade (about 1947), our class read about slavery, followed by discussion.  Then, Mrs. Scott asked the class if we agreed the slaves should have been freed.  We voted by a showing of hands and, to my embarrassment, was the only one who voted "No."  I was ignorant and had absolutely no familiarity with negroes -- nor do I remember any family influence.  The only "Blacks" I had seen were at Young's Laundry in Broken Arrow -- or workers being hauled in the bed of large trucks to and from nearby Alsuma to cotton fields in Wagoner County.

This experience may have been the catalyst for my personal quest to change my "minority" vote.  I do have conservative views but, thankfully, became more tolerant.

Peggy {KING} TRUESDELL
Native of Broken Arrow, Tulsa County, Oklahoma; Transplanted "Okie" to Texas in 2004 but still singing, "Take Me Back to Tulsa."