ARIZARD-L Archives

Archiver > ARIZARD > 2009-03 > 1236403088

From: PEGGY TRUESDELL <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD] Helen {KING} WOOD 1931 - 2009
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 2009 21:18:08 -0800 (PST)

Tulsa World February 19, 2009
Helen Wood

WOOD - Helen, born Helen King, February 26, 1931, died February 13, 2009.

She is preceded in death by:  her parents, William Henderson and Mary Gertrude (Perry) King, her dear sister, Billie June Lundy and her son, David Lundy; and nephew, Cliff Truesdell; brothers, Robert Kelsa and Charles Oliver; and her husband, Jarrett Kent Wood.

She is survived by:  her son, David and daughter, Melinda, and grandchildren, Alex, Katelyn, Carson, Dawson and Emily; sisters, Clea Christiansen and Peggy Truesdell; nieces, June, Dianne, Kathy, Mary Ann, Laura and Tereva; and nephews, Allen and Bill Lundy, Kenny and Keith King, and Barry Keith.

She grew up on an 80-acre farm at 101st and Garnett -- singing and working the land with her family -- and graduated from Broken Arrow in 1949.

She was a talented seamstress, upholsterer, and cook who knew it was the details -- the little things -- that made the difference.  At Helen's house there was always good food, good stories and all that crossed her threshold got a big serving of both.  A dear mother, grandmother, aunt, sister and cousin, she was always there for us, strong and true -- and as we gather together her voice is dearly missed.

Memorial Service 10:30 a.m., Saturday, February 21st, Broken Arrow Church of Christ, 505 E. Kenosha.  In lieu of flowers donations to:  Hospice of Green Country.
~~~~~

Helen Agnes KING was named for two sisters -- the eldest and the youngest -- of our father:

Cleora Helen {KING} ROBERTSON (resided at Mountain Home, AR) and Veah Agnes {KING} DRAPER, resided in Tulsa and later at Coweta.  Aunt Veah and husband George DRAPER lived in home adjacent to original East Central High School near Admiral & Garnett.  He was custodian and she managed the cafeteria.

The oldest and the youngest -- Clea (90 last January) and I (soon to be 72) were together.  Several relatives and friends attended.  Tereva and Alexis made the trip with me.

David and Melinda gave loving tributes to their mother.  Melinda's daughter Katelyn (12) recited a poem she wrote for her grandmother.

Our grandfather, Robert Polk KING, and two other men began the congregation at Broken Arrow.  A table brought from Baxter County, Arkansas to Broken Arrow and used for communion in those early days was in the foyer.  The table was donated to the church by our mother.  It held a lovely floral arrangement and the guest book.  It was purchased over 100 years ago by two of our KING aunts from money earned by picking cotton.

Peggy {KING} TRUESDELL

This thread: