ARIZARD-L Archives

Archiver > ARIZARD > 2009-03 > 1236431600

From: PEGGY TRUESDELL <>
Subject: Re: [ARIZARD] WOLF (Dorothy BOYNTON or anyone)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 05:13:20 -0800 (PST)

Good morning, All!!

I watch Book TV on C-Span most every weekend.  Recently viewed a panel discussion concerning slave trade routes.  The greatest number of slaves were not brought to the U.S., but were delivered to islands.  Detailed information on slave routes will soon be available on the internet.

A gentleman named DeWOLF has written book -- A Family's Burden -- as his DeWOLF family has distinction of owning more slaves than any other family in the United States.  The DeWOLFs also owned large island plantations.

In Dale HANKS' account of slaves and owners in Izard County, he points out that generally owners were young men when they came to Arkansas.  Seems to me their chattels were most likely inherited.

Research has shown that Jacob WOLF had political ties (power and money).  Just now did Google search and information is available on Mr. DeWOLF's book..  Sometimes "thinking outside the box" can provide new, uncharted avenues.  Just a suggestion -- perhaps DeWOLF was original name for WOLF.

Peggy

This thread: