ARIZARD-L Archives

Archiver > ARIZARD > 2009-10 > 1256414130

From: Marsha Boles <>
Subject: [ARIZARD] Newt & Fannie's child #9, Amelia- Gen
Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2009 12:55:30 -0700 (PDT)

Gen,
Okay, caught with my pants down . . again! (See more below)
Part 1:
ABOUT AMELIA:  I have no source.
ix. AMELIA HERRON, b. Abt. 1909.
 x. ADA AMBY HERRON, b. 04 Jun 1909
Just guessing: these 2 are the same and are interpetations of handwriting.  Kind of hard to have 2 births in one year when one is born in June.

Part 2:
Why I have no source on some data:
I "research" my family but "collect" on other families.
I am getting better! - funny how numerous faux paus bring that about!
Started out with few directives.  Saving sources was not one of them.
I was slow to catch on. And I have some fine excuses! but they are just excuses.
Still, pack-rat that I am, cannot bring myself to purge old data without sources.
Like others on the list, I "collect" from the list and I have made an effort to go back in archives and document some stuff.  Boy is that a pain !!! & eventually quit.

Part 3:
ADVISE TO A NEW RESEARCHER:
1) Get a genealogy program - learn to use it. Buy it or find a freebie on line.
2) Document sources - names, date, sometimes even page.
3) Keep separate file called "Sort Later" - put the whole entry in it until you can do it right!

Experiece was my teacher.
Best Wishes,
Marsha