ARMONTGO-L Archives

Archiver > ARMONTGO > 2000-11 > 0975387201

From: sandra wright <>
Subject: Bowen Fair Thompson Family Tree in Montgomery Co
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 20:53:21 -0800 (PST)

Sandra Bowen Wright November 27, 2000

BOWEN FAIR THOMPSON REHDER

Ancestoras of Effie May (Thompson) Fair Bowen Grimm
Sheppy

I am the only surviving grandchild of Effie May Fair
Bowen Grimm Sheppy born December 28, 1904 in Oden
Arkansas, rural route. Effie May married William
Louis Bowen on December 25, 1921. Their only son,
John D. Russell Bowen, was born July 28, 1922 in Oden
Arkansas (Pencil Bluff), Montgomery Co. Together with
three of my distant relatives from the
Bowen/Standridge family tree (Russell Pierce Baker,
Debbie Jacobs and Michael Lacefield) we have collected
much history on the Bowen side of this family going
back to Thomas Bowen (before 1784 in Wilkes Co, NC)
and his two sons Isaac Bowen (wife Mary Polly Ray)
and Thomas Ray Bowen Mar 8, 1788 Wilkes Co. NC
(wife Elisa Beth Betsy Hunt - Mar 15, 1796
Greenville Co SC). My father descends from a son of
Thomas and Betsy Hunt Bowen, Frances Marion Bowen:

Frances Marion Bowen Jan 31, 1834 Shoal Creek, White
Co. GA and his wife Temperance M.A. Standridge June
11, 1836 Shoal Creek, White Co. GA to:

John Hunt Bowen Feb 1, 1855 GA and his Mary Rose
Ann Hutchison Roseanna Apr 8, 1852 Boone Co, AR
to:

James Shelton Monroe Bowen Nov 9, 1878 Polk Co. AR
and his wife Sarah Emmaline Jane Hughes Jun 19, 1880
Arkadelphia, Clark Co. AR to:

William L. Bowen- May 16, 1902 Montgomery Co, AR and
his wife Effie May Fair Dec 28, 1904 Oden,
Montgomery Co AR.

My father John D Russell Bowen and my brother Russell
Dee Bowen are buried side by side and share a
headstone in the Lower Big Fork Cemetery in Polk
County AR. They are buried near James Monroe Bowen
and Sarah Emmaline Hughes Bowen and Roseanna
Hutchison Bowen.

I am now researching my Grandmother Effie May Fair and
her descendents from her father and her mothers side
of my family tree. Effie May Fairs father was James
Adam Fair (born January 6, 1893 in Mississippi ?) and
her mother was Lillis Nona Thompson born October 6,
1874 in Arkansas. James Adam Fair and Lillis Nona
Thompson were married December 29, 1893 in Montgomery
Co. AR. I have a page from a family bible, loose
photographs found in a box among Grandmother Effies
keepsakes and the guest book from her funeral on March
2, 1983 at the Memorial Park Chapel in Tulsa Oklahoma.

Names from Bible Ledger:

Katie Maud Fair: Aug 26, 1886
Married: July 1905
Anna Nora Fair:Nov 30, 1889
Married: June 3, 1906
Mollie Myrtle Fair: May 12, 1895
Married: John Rehder Mar 5, 1916
Children: Paulrita Rehder Apr 28, 1917
Gladys Viola Rehder Dec 21, 1918
J.R. Rehder Dec 2, 1922
Eugene Rehder Mar 22, 1928
Jesse Lee Fair:Jan 18, 1898
Ira Adam Fair:May 15, 1900
Effie May Fair:Dec 28, 1904
Married: William L. Bowen Dec 25, 1921
Mattie Viola Fair: Dec 14, 1908
Married: Johnie Barker Aug 12, 1929
Children: Bonnie May Barker Sep 6, 1927
Dee Clement Fair: Dec 14, 1908

In the records at the National Archives for the 1900
Census in Polk Township, Montgomery Co AR, I have
found James A Fair and Lillis Nona Thompson Fair and
their children Katie Maud, Anna Nora, Molly Myrtle,
Jesse Lee, and Ira Adam. In the 1900 census, very
close by, is a George W. Thompson (1849) and his wife
Elizabeth (1846) and their son George A (1885). In the
1900 census in Smith Township, Montgomery Co AR., I
found Fred and Malinda Rehder and their children John
and Martha C Rehder. I am guessing this is the John
Rehder that married Mollie Mrytle Fair on March 5,
1916.

The 1920 census Montgomery AR Polk Township
Supervisors District #4, Enumeration District # 87
Sheet # 16A beginning on line 31 lists Lillis N Fair
as widowed and head of household of her children Ira,
May (Effie), Mattie, and Dee. Also in the household
are Elizabeth Thompson (age 73) and a nephew named
Lemmie Allen or Allen Lemmie (age 14) living on Oden &
Mt Ida Road. On the same page Jess Fair (age 22) and
his wife Iona (age 20) is listed a head of household
and farmer as occupation.

I do not know where any of the descendants on my
Grandmothers side of the family are living today. I
have several pictures of my grandmother and her family
when she was a young girl 16 or 17 years of age living
in the Mena Arkansas area near Pencil Bluff and Oden
AR.

Names signed in memorial book at Effie May Sheppys
funeral in Tulsa Ok 1983.
(I think most of these people are the children and
grandchildren of Jesse and Iona Fair and Mattie and
vJohnie Barker, but Im not positive.) I did not see
Bonnie Barkers name but I know she was there
also.Carmelita Ross (I think she was separated at the
time from her husband). Many are relatives but I do
not know where they live.

Robert and Teresa Richardson
Iris and Jack Richardson
Steve Richardson
Mike Richardson
David Richardson
Raymond and Katherine Hughes
Margrett Fair
Nellie Fair
Larry Fair
Floy Fair
Bill Fair
Don and Sonny
Lillian Bamburg
Ruth Gordon
Niki Morse
Sandra Moore
Mr. & Mrs. Randall Marx and Kimberly

In addition to the funeral guest book and bible
ledger, I have listed some of the names noted on the
backs of photographs that are connected with the
Thompson/ Fair Descendants: Ola Mae, Lemie Thompson,
Elva , Ira, Beulah at Mena park (Arkansas); William,
Willie,Cora, and Zea (Looks like he might be blind
and plays the Sax).

I would appreciate any information you might have on
the Thompson / Fair family.

Thank you
Sandra Bowen Wright