ARMSTRONG-GEN-ONLY-L ArchivesArchiver > ARMSTRONG-GEN-ONLY > 2001-11 > 1006401526
From: Rhonda A Bell <>
Subject: [ARMSTRONG-GO] roll call>NC, TN, TX,
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 20:58:46 -0700
Here is my line of ARMSTRONGs:
Martin Armstrong, b. abt. 1740, d. 1808 Nashville, TN. Was from NC. I
have several "possible" parents: John and Jane (d. Anson Co.,
NC)-probably not them; William, of Ireland; and Martin Sr.
Martin's wife was Mary Ann Elizabeth TATE. Tate is possibly a former
married name, as a document surfaced which seems to state that. Martin
lived in Surry Co./Rowan Co., NC.
Martin ARMSTRONG, b. VA or NC or Ireland (the debate is still going on!)
about 1740. He married Mary Ann Elizabeth TATE, abt. 1766. Died in
Nashville, TN in 1808. Their known children were:
1) Thomas Temple ARMSTRONG, b. 1770; mar. Mary McMURRY, 1795.
2) Jane ARMSTRONG, b. abt. 1773; mar. 1st William HEWLETT (or Hughlett);
mar. 2nd John EVANS.
3) Mary Ann Elizabeth ARMSTRONG, b. 1775; mar. Alexander E. McCALL, abt.
4) Joseph W. ARMSTRONG, b. abt. 1777; d. bef. Feb. 1816, Smith Co., TN.
5) Elizabeth ARMSTRONG, b. abt. 1779; don't know anything more about her.
6)** Dr. John B. ARMSTRONG, b. 1783. John married Nancy Moreland TURNER,
dgt. of Berryman Turner. (Would love to contact anyone who descends from
Berryman TURNER!) They married in Davidson County in 1807, and he died
in Smith County in 1836. He lived in Giles and Smith counties, TN.
Dr. John B. Armstrong's will names 10 children, but another child (Molly,
1813-1831) had died previous to this. His ten children mentioned in his
1) Martin Wilson ARMSTRONG, b. 1808 (mar. Mary Minerva DORAN, 1834 in
Rutherford Co., TN; moved to Cherokee Co., Texas)
2)Susannah ARMSTRONG, b.1811 (never married, moved to Texas with sister
3) Thomas Temple ARMSTRONG, b. 1816 (mar. Martha Washington POLLARD,
1850, in Monroe Co., MS; mar. 2nd Mrs. Fannie D. BROWN, 1871, in Lee
Co., MS; died in Lee Co., MS in 1874)
4) Nancy Moreland ARMSTRONG, b. 1817 (mar. Dr. Lewis Vance YOUNG, no
5) John Barkley ARMSTRONG, b. 1819 (mar. Maria READY, 1842, Rutherford
Co., TN; died in McMinnville, TN in 1875; father of Texas Ranger John B.
6) Martha ARMSTRONG, b. 1821 (mar. Thomas Clinton PEACE, 1853, Smith Co.,
TN; moved to Texas; children died in Hale Co., TX)
7) Berryman Turner ARMSTRONG, b. 1823 (mar. Martha "Mattie" LAGRONE,
1858, in Monroe Co., MS)
8) Joseph William ARMSTRONG, b. 1825 (mar. Missouri HOWARD abt. 1857,
probably in MO; d. abt. 1860 in St. Louis)
9) Robert Jackson ARMSTRONG, b. 1828 (never married; died in Battle of
10) **David Hosack ARMSTRONG, b. 1831 (mar. Julia Francis McALLISTER in
Grayson Co./ Cooke Co., Texas in 1859); died 3 Sept. 1904, Austin, Travis
Co., TX. He lived briefly in Monroe Co., MS, sometime between 1850 and
1860, after leaving Smith Co., TN, then moved to Texas (1st in Grayson
and Cooke counties, then Bell Co., where his children
were raised, then died in Travis. Co. in 1904.)
I have lots more on David H. Armstrong, if anyone is interested. I would
be especially interested in contacting anyone descended from his son
Rhonda A. Bell