ARMSTRONG-L Archives

Archiver > ARMSTRONG > 1997-09 > 0873658930

From: <>
Subject: Notes on Thomas Armstrong
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 15:02:10 -0400 (EDT)

Descendants of Thomas Armstrong

1 Thomas Armstrong- Aft 1776
..+first wife of Thomas Armstrong- Bef 1763
.........2 William Armstrong- Aft 1802
.............+Jean Erwin- 1808-1809
.........2 Sarah Armstrong- Aft 1799
.............+Edward RutledgeAbt 1725 - 1787
.........2 Jane Armstrong
.............+Robert McKitrick
.........2 Rosanna Armstrong- 1825
.............+Henry Murray- 1804
.........2 Abel Armstrong1758 - 1837
.............+Mary WanlessBef 1765 - 1818
*2nd Wife of Thomas Armstrong:
..+Mary Ann Lafferty

********
Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia, by Lyman Chalkley

Volume 1, Page 109
Augusta County Court Records. Order Book No. IX, September 24, 1763
Thos. Armstrong and Ann, his wife, late Ann Stewart, admx. of James Stewart,
summoned to render account.

Volume 1, Page 122
Augusta County Court Records. Order Book No. VIII, May 25, 1765
Order for summoning George Henderson on complaint of son, John Henderson, is
abated by death of George. Order to summon Thomas and Ann Armstrong
dismissed.
********
Ancestry Descendants of Daniel F. Armstrong and Sarah Nutter

May 21, 1747 Thomas purchased 400 acres of land on the Jennings Branch of
Cathey's River (now known as the Middle River) for 20 lbs. and 5 shillings
from James Bell.

In 1749 Thomas received 120 additional acres of land on the Jennings Branch.

On March 17, 1753 Thomas qualifies as "Ensign of Foote." On 20th November,
1755, Thomas qualifies as "Captain of Foote." On 27 July, 1756, a Council of
War was held in Augusta Courthouse to consider the most proper places to
build forts along the frontier for the protection of the inhabitants. The men
present were Col. John Buchanan, Col. David Stewart, Major John Brown,
Captains Joseph Cueton, Robert Scott, Patrick Martin, William Christian,
Samuel Stalnicker and Thomas Armstrong.

Augusta County, Virginia Will Bk. #5, pp. 422 to 424 contains the Will of
Thomas Armstrong: This Will dated 29, April, 1776 was proven 20th of August,
1776 and is quoted partially as follows: "Item, I give to my well beloved
wife Ann a third of all my land during her lifetime, likewise a third of all
of my moveable estate, a bed and bedding, saddle and spinning wheel and her
body clothes; Item, to my son William two Hundred acres leased to him
previously with the order that William give to Sarah Rutledge seven pounds or
a horse of equal value; Item, to son Abel the Plantation wheron the dwelling
house stands, likewise the new survey on the north side of Gennings Branch, a
horse, saddle and my body clothes and the remainder of all my moveable
estate;" (Able was to let William have any timber he might need.... Evidently
Williams land was not forested as was the Home Plantation land.) "Item, to
well beloved son and daugher Robert and Jane McKitrick five shillings English
money; Item, to well beloved son and daughter Edward and Sarah Rutledge five
shillings English money; Item, to my well beloved son and daughter Henry and
Rosanna Murray five shillings English money." He appoints his son William and
his wife as Executors, and signs with his mark. Signing as witness were James
Trimble, Robert Armstrong and John Beard. Robert Armstrong listed as a
witmess may be a brother to Thomas. Robert obtained land on the Jennings
Branch in 1752.
********

Holly Wanless Cochran, 1660 Peachey Rd., Ashland, OR 97520,
email: , Mostly interested in Wanless
Was a Captain in Revolutionary War. Lived on Stone Ridge Farm at Lone
Fountain between Jennings Gap and Churchville, in Augusta Co. His son Abel
also lived here, and Abel's daughter Polly was married here. [Waggon Road,
p.67]

This thread: