ARMSTRONG-L Archives

Archiver > ARMSTRONG > 1998-09 > 0906884870

From: "Alma Luper" <>
Subject: [ARMSTRONG-L] Robert Armstrong II
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 01:27:50 -0700

Some of this is very difficult to read, please let me know if you feel I've
made a mistake.

Robert Armstrong II b. 13 Dec 1731 d. 28 Feb 1798. (NOTE birth/death data
may be incorrect)m. Margaret Cunningham 1767 b. 1795 d 3 June 1873 age 92
yrs. He was age 36 yrs when he married. S/O Robert Armstrong 1st and his
wife Alice (Calhoun) Armstrong. Robert II and Margaret had 7 children. 4
sons and 3 daughters. (twins)

He was born in County Antrim, Province of Ulster, Ireland. When four years
of age he emmigrated to America with his father, Robert Armstrong, his
mother, Alice Calhoun Armstrong and a brother John Armstrong, the year was
1735.

He was a revolutionary soldier. Moved to Washington County Tennessee in
1784 on Halston River. In 1787 moved to Knox County TN 5 miles East of
Knoxville. Robert Armstrong II was a surveyor for Knox County Tennessee for
40 years. He was a United States surveyor in the famous, Secretary of War,,
Cherokee Treaty.

>From will book.o. pg 15 from April Session. Extrx-wife Margaret Cunningham.
Date of Will 15 Jan 1796. Invoice of estate, returned to court-book III
page 48 Knox Co, TN.

FRENCH - BROAD- HOLSTON COUNTY - p-371.

Robert Armstrong the surveyor, sometimes referred to as to Robert Armstong
II, moved with his fathers family from South Carolina to Washington County
North Carolina (Now Tenneesee) in 1784. To Knox County (then Hawkins
County) in 1788.

In 1792 he served several months in the Militia under Captain Hugh Beard.
On May 6, 1793, he was appointed the "First" Sheriff of Knox County. The
tenure of the Deputy was to be "until the end of the May term, 1794 and no
longer."

In September 1793 he was one of the defenders of Knoxville, in the
threatened attack by the Cherokee's, in the Indian War of that year.

(p-372) At the 50th anniversary of the Town of Knoxville Robert Armstrong
II was the only surviving veteran present who had marched under General
James White to meet the Cherokee Warriors. He was honored at a great
banquet in City Hall Feb 10, 1842.

He was also a member of a detachment under Captain Gillespie, who went on a
scouting expedition to North Carolina, after the burning of Carter's
Station. During the winter of 1793 Robert Armstrong, served in the United
States Regular Army in a Calvary Company under Captain Nathaniel Evans.

He was commissioned an ensignin the Knox County Militia Nov. 26, 2795-and
commissioned a Lt Oct 10, 1796. (These military commissions are not to be
confused with any of General Robert Armstrong, who was born in 1792-son of
Trooper Armstrong).

He was a member of the Knox County Court in 1802 and for a number of years
afterward.

His long years of service as a surveyor began in 1807, with his appointment
as deputy surveyor, of the Fifth District of Knox County. Then in 1817 as
surveyor of that district. He continued that work in the district until
1829. He was then elected county surveyor. This position he held until
within a few months of his death-42 years in all-a record as yet
unsurpassed. He was also employed in 1819, by the United States Government.

When John C. Calhoun, Secretary of War, transmitted a commission of the
President to Robert Houston. Appointing him a commissioner to run the
lines laying off certain tracts of land which by treaty of 1819 with the
Cherokee's were reserved in Tennessee, North Carolina and Alabama
Territory. Houston was authorized to employ a surveyor to locate and mark
the boundaries, Robert Armstrong II was the surveyor thus chosen.

He was an elder in the Lebanon Presbyterian Church for many years.

Stop

Alma's notes- There is a lot of confusion in the notes between Robert
Armstrong the II and Robert the III. I am trying to keep the lines in order
but it is difficult.

My next post will be general data from court/census records. Unless there
are a lot of questions, I may find in the research and answer for ya'll.
The John mentioned may be my husbands ancestor I have been searching for...

A direct decendant could talk me into sending copies of all I have, could
use the help!

Alma

This thread: