ARMSTRONG-L Archives

Archiver > ARMSTRONG > 1999-06 > 0930689181

From: Armstrong,F.R.< >
Subject: Re: [ARMSTRONG-L] Armstrongs of Antrim
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:46:21 -0400

I really have two different birthplaces for Samuel and don't really know the
correct one.
Here's Samuel and his father's familys. I'm from Samuel Jr.'s line.
I hope it's ok to put this much on a roots e mail.
Fount
Descendants of William Armstrong

Generation No. 1

1. WILLIAM31 ARMSTRONG (ARCHIBALD30, EDWARD II29, EDWARD28, WILLIAM W.27,
JOHN STEPHENL26, THOMAS DERIN25, ALEXANDER24, JAMES23, JOHN MCGREGOR22,
DENUS21, JAMES WILLIAM20, WILLIAM19, ROBERT III18, ROBERT II17, GILBERT16,
ROBERT15, BRUCE14, WILLIAM13, ALEXANDER12, JOHN CAMERON11, ALAN JOHN10,
DAVID9, HENRY8, JAMES7, ALLEN6, HENRY URSUS5, WALTHEOF FAIRBURN4, SIWARD
FAIRBURN3, BEORN FAIRBURN2, URSUS1 FAIRBURN) was born 1695 in Enniskillen,
Fermangh Co., Ire., and died March 16, 1760 in Augasta Co., VA. He married
MARGARET HAMILTON Abt. 1720 in Fermangh Co., Ireland.

Children of WILLIAM ARMSTRONG and MARGARET HAMILTON are:
i. WILLIAM L.32 ARMSTRONG, b. 1725, Enniskillen, Fermangh Co., Ire.; d.
February 02, 1782, Surry Co., NC; m. CATHERINE CHILDERS, Abt. 1750, Augusta
Co., VA.
ii. MAJOR-JOHN ARMSTRONG, b. 1727, Enniskillen, Fermangh Co., Ire.; d.
1794, Stokes Co., NC; m. JANE COKER, Abt. 1772, Stokes Co., NC.
iii. HUGH ARMSTRONG, b. 1735, Enniskillen, Fermangh Co., Ire.; d. Warren
Co., TN.
2. iv. SAMUEL ARMSTRONG, b. 1742, Enniskillen, Fermangh Co., Ire.; d.
September 1809, Abbeville, S.C..
v. MARTIN ARMSTRONG, b. February 02, 1749/50, Ticking Springs, Augusta Co.,
VA; d. September 06, 1808, Nashville, TN; m. MARY ANN ELIZABETH TATE, 1766,
Rown, NC.

Generation No. 2

2. SAMUEL32 ARMSTRONG (WILLIAM31, ARCHIBALD30, EDWARD II29, EDWARD28,
WILLIAM W.27, JOHN STEPHENL26, THOMAS DERIN25, ALEXANDER24, JAMES23, JOHN
MCGREGOR22, DENUS21, JAMES WILLIAM20, WILLIAM19, ROBERT III18, ROBERT II17,
GILBERT16, ROBERT15, BRUCE14, WILLIAM13, ALEXANDER12, JOHN CAMERON11, ALAN
JOHN10, DAVID9, HENRY8, JAMES7, ALLEN6, HENRY URSUS5, WALTHEOF FAIRBURN4,
SIWARD FAIRBURN3, BEORN FAIRBURN2, URSUS1 FAIRBURN) was born 1742 in
Enniskillen, Fermangh Co., Ire., and died September 1809 in Abbeville, S.C..
He married MARY ANN BOYD 1764 in Fermangh Co., Ireland.

Notes for SAMUEL ARMSTRONG:
SAMUEL ARMSTRONG

SAMUEL ARMSTRONG was born in 1742 at Canonbie, On the Border, Scotland.

Samuel arrived in South Carolina on December, 1767 from Ballimena, County of
Antrim, Kingdom of Ireland aboard the ship "EARL OF DENEGAL". The ship's
Captain was Duncan Ferguson.

Along with Samuel, who was twenty five, was his wife, Mary Boyd, twenty
three, their first son, William, two, and Sam's mother, Margaret Hamilton,
sixty.

In the spring of 1768, Samuel was awarded 200 acres and his mother 100
acres, all on Waterbee Creek, Craven County, South Carolina.

Samuel lived in Abbeville County, South Carolina, and lived to sire nine
children. He joined the "South Carolina Rangers", under the command of
Captain Robert Ellison, in 1775 and served in the War of Independence.

Samuel died in Sept. 1809, in Abbeville, County, SC. He left the following
will, dated 26 Aug. 1809, proved 11 Sep. 1809, Will Book, page 380,
Abbeville Dist., SC.

WILL OF SAMUEL ARMSTRONG

In the name of God Amen. I Samuel Armstrong, being in a low state of health
but sound of mind and memory, calling to mind the mortality of the body, do
make and publish this, my last will and testament in manner following, viz.
First I give my Soul to God, Who gave it, and my body to be decently buried
in a Christian manner. Next, I allow all my just debts to be paid. Next, I
give and bequeath to my loving wife, two cows and calves and all my
household furniture during her life. Next, I give and bequeath unto my son
John Armstrong, one hundred acres of land where he now lives, he paying my
beloved wife ten dollars and one wagon load of corn yearly during her life.
Next, I give and bequeath unto my son David Armstrong, one hundred acres of
land whereon he now lives, he paying my beloved wife ten dollars and one
wagon load of corn yearly during her life, and at my wife's decease, my son
John Armstrong and my son David Armstrong is to pay my son Matthew Armstrong
twenty five dollars each. Next, I give and bequeath unto my son William
Armstrong, one dollar, Next, I give and bequeath unto my son Hugh Armstrong,
one dollar. Next, I give and bequeath unto my son James Armstrong, one
dollar. Next, I give and bequeath unto my daughter Martha Furlong, one
dollar. Next, I give and bequeath unto my daughter, Mary Emerson, one
dollar. Next, I give and bequeath unto my son, Samuel Armstrong, one hundred
acres of land, where he now lives, my beloved wife to have the benefit of
the dwelling house during her life and I allow my son Samuel Armstrong to
attend that piece of ground I formally attended, one half in corn and the
other half in small grain, yearly, for my wife and also to give her a wagon
load of corn yearly during her life and at my decease, I allow an inventory
to be taken of all my movable property and at my loving wife's decease, for
it to be sold and an equal division of the money to be made between my sons
John, David and Samuel Armstrong and my daughter, Mary Emerson. Next, I
appoint Abraham Livingston, my son David Armstrong and my son Samuel
Armstrong, Executors of this, my last will and testament. Lastly, I give and
bequeath unto my beloved wife, all my stock of hogs. Signed sealed and
acknowledged, this to be my last will and teatament, this twenty sixth day
of August in the year of our Loard, one thousand eight hundred and nine, in
the preasence of Abraham Livingston, Robert Russell, Wm. Black Jr.

his

Samuel
X Armstrong

mark

Expend: Oct 27, 1826. To cash paid for Matilda V. armstrong, board, $9.00
Feb. 6, 1826. To cash paid Watt Bowie for Eliza Armstrong,
$14.56 1/4
Feb. 6, 1826. To cash paid James Armstrong of his share.
Feb. 24, 1827. Paid Ord. for guardianship to Matilda and
Amanda Armstrong, $3.00
Paid John Wier for boarding John Armstrong, $3.00
Jan. 1, 1824. Paid Mary Ann Armstrong legacy in part, $105.88

Samuel Armstrong had a note for $6.00 on Matthew, Martin and Henry Emerson.
Also a note on William Emerson, $5.00.

ARMSTRONG MINORS

On 21 Feb. 1827, Samuel Huston, John Power and Patrick Johnson bound unto
Moses Taggart, Ord. Abbeville Dist, the sum of $2000.00. Samuel L. Houston
was guardian of Matilda Vasti Armstrong and Amanda Zena Armstrong, minors
under 14 years. Eliza Armstrong has also been listed as a minor. These may
have been Samuel's grand daughters.

Children of SAMUEL ARMSTRONG and MARY BOYD are:
i. JAMES33 ARMSTRONG, b. April 06, 1764, Fermanaugh Co., Ireland; d.
November 11, 1837, Maury Co., TN; m. (1) MARY A. FRIERSON; m. (2) HOUSTON,
1802.
ii. WILLIAM ARMSTRONG, b. August 14, 1765, Fermanaugh Co., Ireland; d. Aft.
1844, Anderson Co., S.C.; m. SARAH BARR, 1785, Henry Co., VA.

Notes for WILLIAM ARMSTRONG:
>From information provided by Carolyn Barker Strain:

The following information is in the Revolutionary War Pension claim S6534,
from which it appears that William ( son of Samuel Armstrong ) was born in
Ireland, Aug. 14, 1765.
While residing in Camden District, SC, he enlisted July 29, 1780 and served
as a private two years and six months under Capt. John McClure, John Mills,
John McCool, Ned Martin, and General Sumpter and Pickens. He was in the
battle of Rocky Mount, Hanging Rock, Catawba, Fishing Creeks, Kings
Mountain, Cowpens and Eutaw Springs. There is no data on his family. It was
stated by William Armstrong in 1833 that he was born 1765 in Ireland and
came to Camden, now Fairfield District, SC, where he was residing when he
voluntarily entered service in the year of the fall of Charleston under
Capt. John McLean or McLure, Gen. Sumpter, and was under him at the battle
of hanging rock.

According to the 1787 general Tax Roll, he had 7 slaves and 400 acres in
Abbeville District, SC.

William Armstrong is shown in the 1840 census for Anderson Co., SC as being
a Rev. War pensioner. His age is given as 78. He is living in the home of
Thomas Runnels. (p.108)

>From Virginia W. Jones of Atlanta, "Found another paper in SC Magazine of
Ancestral Research, ( Winter 1976 ), pertaining to a petetion of William
Armstrong, in which he states his annuity of $60 per annum was suspended
after the lapse of a few years for further proof, but because of lapsed time
and frailties of an advanced age, he was unable to comply he is applying to
the state to be restored to the Pension Roll of State of SC for $60 per
annum. The petition is dated Nov. 8, 1836 and a list of Annuitants 1842-1846
shows he recieved same in 1842, 1843 and 1844. Based on the record, I am
going to show his death date as after 1844."

The "Roster of S.C. Patriots in American Rev." pg. 26, states: Armstrong,
Wm. S-6534, b. 14 Aug. 1765, Ireland--While residing in Fairfield Dist., he
volenteered after the fall of Charleston and served under Capt. James
McClure and Gen. Sumter. He served two years and six months under Capt.
McClure, John McCool and Ned Martin and was in the Battle of Rocky Mount,
Bratton's Plantation and Hanging Rock, where he assisted in burying the body
of his Captain. His own coat had four holes shot through it. He volenteered
to serve under Capt. John Mills at King's Mountain and was under him in the
Battle of Cowpens. In addition, he was inthe Battle at Eutae Springs,
Sumters Defeat at Charleston when the Brittish left. [ A.A. Audited
Accountsin S.C. Archives, also, Genealogical Abstracts of Rev. War Pension
Files, vol. I-A-E, abst. by Virgil D. White ].

iii. SAMUEL ARMSTRONG, JR., b. 1767, Fermanaugh Co., Ireland; d. 1814,
Washington Co., IL; m. MARY ANN RUSSELL, 1796, Abbeville, S.C..
iv. DAVID ARMSTRONG, b. 1768, Abbeville, S.C.; d. October 26, 1849, Dallas
Co., Ala..
v. HUGH ARMSTRONG, b. 1770, Abbeville Co., S.C.; d. 1833, Abbeville Co.,
S.C..
vi. JOHN H. ARMSTRONG, b. April 30, 1772, 96th Dist., S.C.; d. 1843,
Hanover, Jo Davis Co., IL; m. (1) SARAH KENNEDY; m. (2) ELIZABETH BOYD.
vii. MARTHA ARMSTRONG, b. 1774, Abbeville Co., S.C.; m. HUBBARD FURLONG,
Abt. 1791.
viii. MARY ANN JR. ARMSTRONG, b. 1777, Abbeville Co., S.C.; d. September
1824, Penny Creek, S.C.; m. (1) WILLIAM EMERSON, 1809, S.C.; m. (2)
MAJ.JAMES PICKENS, Aft. 1809.
ix. MATHEW ARMSTRONG, b. 1779, Abbeville Co., S.C.; d. Sumner Co., TN; m.
SARAH, Abt. 1802, Abbeville Co., SC.