ARMSTRONG-L Archives

Archiver > ARMSTRONG > 1999-12 > 0945059011

From: "Jeffrey L. Armstrong" <>
Subject: [ARMSTRONG-L] John William, Henry, Robert, Rufus Armstrong Ireland>North Carolina early 1700's
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 1999 23:23:31 -0500

There has been quite a bit of talk about descendants of John of Gilnockie
lately. There also appears to be considerable overlap amongst those of us
with lines from North and South Carolina and several lines seem to be
unaccounted for. I wonder if some of these lines could be explained by being
descendants of the following line, described in the book "Chronicles of the
Armstrongs" by James Lewis Armstrong, MD:

"....1717. One of our most interesting records is in the form of a statement
of John William Armstrong, who landed at Charleston 1717. 'Copied from a
book which was the property of my uncle John William Armstrong; in the
Annual 1771 [signed David Armstrong.'

'We landed at Charleston on the nine and tenth of the tenth Mo. in the
Annual 1717. My Brother Henry, my brother Robert, and my near kin Rufus
George Armstrong, also there came our strong fren Thomas Dinkins, James
Dinkins, beside John Dinkins. We were alone. We possesses in entire
sufficient one was value. My brother David was useful with building boat. My
fren Thomas Dinkins the same. On the nine Mo. 1718 my brother Robert and my
friend James Dinkins bad leave for Ireland. On the six Mo. 1719. May God
bless the morning ther kame and my love companion and chil Margaret an also
kame back James Dinkins and Robert with also families....1723 annual we agan
walk to Mekeilenbur (Mecklenburg?) County, Carolina. Sens we left
Londonderry just foor annual.....' (Original in the possession of James
Dinkins, Memphis, Tennessee.)

"Statement of John R. Dinkins. "Copies of Testament belonging to my father,
James Dinkins, who was the son of James Dinkins of Macklenburg County, N.C.
who emmigrated from the Londonderry together with his two brothers John and
Thomas in the years 1717 and 1719....in company with John William Armstrong,
Robert Armstrong, Henry Armstrong, and a cousin Rufus George Armstrong.
[signed John R. Dinkins]"

"James Dinkins was married to Margaret Armstrong at Good-Hope neighborhood
church, June 17, 1747. Margaret Armstrong Dinkins was the daughter of John
William Armstrong, (great grandson of John of Gilnockie) and Ann his wife
was a Kendrick. John Rufus Dinkins, son of James Dinkins and Margaret
Armstrong, was born the 21 first of May 1748. David Kendricks Dinkins, son
also was born June 3, 1749. Eliza Ann Dinkins daughter of same was born
April 3, 1751. Robert Armstrong Dinkins son of same, was born Jan. 14, 1753.
Sarah Margaret Dinkins daughter of same was born Aug 3, 1754. James Dinkins,
son of samel, was born Dec. 26, 1756."

"The following is partly true, and partly from tradition. In the middle
centuries, there lived in the south of Scotland, a great chief, known as
'Johnnie the Strong' who had a large following of young men who took up arms
against the crown. They were a hardy rugged race, accustomed to all kinds
of exposure and dangers. They set at defiance all laws, and for many years
lived in the low-lands a terror to the governent. Johnnie the Strong, sent
impudent messages to the King, and challenged him to mortal combat. He was
loved by all his people, who regarded him greater than the King. Tradition
states, he at one time met hand to hand, a score of Troopers who attempted
to capture him, but he defended himself against them all, killing two, and
wounding several others, after which he was called Johnnie the Strong."

"John William Armstrong, it is believed, was the great-grandson of Johnnie
the Strong. This is supported by the fact, his Grand Father was betrayed,
surprised and killed, as tradition has it, that Johnnie the Strong was
enticed from his camp, and killed by the King while he was being held by the
Soldiers of the King."

"James, Thomas, and John Dinkins, it is supposed were Welchmen, who joined
the Armstrongs in Ireland, having been driven from the country, so tradition
states because of disloyalty to the Crown. Tradition further states, they
were called 'Devil in the Bush', which implies they were also outlaws, it is
claimed, on account of the King imposing restrictions on their hunting
privileges. Anyway, the brothers came to America with the Armstrongs, whose
children intermarried. (Original in the possession of James Dinkins, Memphis
Tennessee.)"

I would be interested to hear from anyone with information about descendants
of John William, Henry, Robert or Rufus.

Jeff Armstrong
Tallahassee, FL, USA

This thread: