ARPULASK-L Archives

Archiver > ARPULASK > 2012-11 > 1353836281

From: ,
Subject: Re: [ARPULASK] Moses Ward 1860
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 09:38:01 -0000

Author: rockcityrose
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.arkansas.counties.pulaski/3831.1.1.2/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Hi Melanie,

Many people of my family are buried on the north side of Pilgrim's Rest Cemetery on Rodney Parham Road in Little Rock. The next time I'm at the cemetery, I'll look for Moses and Shadrack Ward's tombstones. If the tombstones are gone or unreadable, there's probably no hope of learning exactly where they are buried in the cemetery. I recently contacted the person who seems to be in charge of the cemetery association two times, and she has a plot plan of the cemetery showing where most are buried. She has told me both times she will look at it and advise me where someone else is buried, and she has not followed through.

And yes, there was a church at the cemetery. Pilgrim's Rest Baptist Church was moved to Benton, Saline Co., AR in 1962. The church was supposedly started 1830ish. That area of Rodney Parham has been heavily populated by businesses for thirty or forty years. I went to the cemetery with my grandmother as a child.

Moses J. Ward's probable sister, Matilda E. Ward married 1st Onea Sanford Sullivan, Sr. 23 Mar 1854 Jefferson Co., AR, and both of them were residents of Jefferson Co. She married 2nd James Simms who was born in Scotland. In 1860 O. S. Sullivan, Matilda, and their children Cordelia, Drucilla and Onea Sanford Sullivan, Jr. are on the Big Rock, Pulaski Co., AR census in Household #395. Moses J. Ward and his 1st wife, Eugenia Lucinda Lindsey, their daughter, Eugenia and their probable father, Shadrack Ward are in Household #396. James Simms is also found on the 1860 Pulaski Co., AR census, and he's not married.

By 1870 Matilda had married James Simms, and both the Simms and the Wards were enumerated in Owen, Saline Co., AR and also Pulaski Co., AR. The Simms were immediately above Moses J. Ward in Little Rock, Pulaski Co. By 1880 the Simms were back in Owen, Saline Co., AR and Drucilla and Onea, Jr. were listed as Sullivan. In 1880, Matilda and both of her parents were shown to be born in Alabama.

Onea married Sarah J. Beard, supposedly the daughter of Mary Pate and Edmond Beard who are on the 1880 Pulaski Co., AR census immediately above my family. A group of cousins and I have been trying to find Edmond before 1880. We know that Mary (nee Pate) Beard was the sister of Benjamin Lee Pate, who married into my family.

I have been unable to find Shadrack, Moses J. or Matilda E. Ward in 1850.

Beth Walton
Little Rock

Important Note: