ASHLEY-L Archives

Archiver > ASHLEY > 1998-06 > 0898880952

From: "Virginia Ewing" <>
Subject: [ASHLEY-L] Jordan Ashley/Sarah Sanders
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 12:09:12 -0500

This was a letter I wrote to a lady who asked for information on
Sarah Sanders. I know some of you are on this line. Some of it
is word of mouth and not proven. Some of it came from Theda
Ashley's newsletter, parts from others. The story of the name
change from Pigg came from Ada Ashley Smith of Wilkinson co., MS.
I am not sure where she got it.

My Ashley line is John Ashley who came to Amite co., MS in the
early 1800s. I think his wife was Elizabeth Sanders, Sarah
Sanders's aunt, but haven't proven it. If so they came from
Kershaw co., SC. I know that is where the Sanders lived. I
understand their Indian name was Pigg and George Sanders, SR.
changed it when he md. Agnes Kelly. It could be PIGG was his
mothers name, as Indians traced their line through their mothers
until the new government required it to be through the father.
could be his mother's line was PIGG and his father's SANDERS.
Sarah was a Catawba Indian of north central South Carolina. She
was born 15 Nov 1769 in SC and died after 1865 in SC. She had
come to Copiah co., MS in a wagon train and after 46 years went
back to SC to die with her tribe. She was nearing a hundred
years old. She torn a $100 bill in half and took half with her
and when safely in SC sent for the other half. She road a mule
back to SC.

[ copied this at the archives in Jackson, MS]
Notes from THE ASHLEY FAMILY ASSOCIATION OF COPIAH CO., MS
the record book of the Ashley family of Mississippi begins with
Jordan Ashley, born 1761-1837 and his wife Sarah Sanders,
1769-185?, and states that the first page was copied from the
family Bible.

George Calvin Ashley 1884-1964, of Vicksburg said Jordan was the
son of George Ashley of Virginia, who had five sons in the
Revolutionary War. When the war was over, one was missing and
the others scattered.

About 1900, George Thomas Ashley of Carmi, White co., Ill., gave
this information to J. Burton Ashley, Ashley Family Genealogist:
the father of Jordan was George Ashley, mother Susan Duncan.

Jordan Ashley b. 1 April 1761 BA d 26 June 1837 Covington co.,
MS md. Sallie Sanders ca. 1790 SC, she was born 15 Nov. 1769 SC
and died 1854 SC
their children were:
George b 24 Oct 1791 SC m 1st ca. 1812 Elizabeth Scott; 2 Susan
Dickens 2 Aug 1819
John B 31 May 1793 SC
Susan b 20 Feb 1795 SC md a Love
Thomas b 21 Sept 1797 SC md Polly Dickens
Elizabeth b 24 may 1799 SC md a Martin

In 1818 George Ashley moved from SC to Miss. The next year 1819
he went back and brought Jordan, his father and the balance of
the family to Covington co., MS. There Jordan died, Sallie his
wife remained in Miss, until 1852, she went back to SC and died
there in 1854. her father George Sanders was a half breed
Catawba Indian, his wife was white and her name was Drakeford.

It is said that Jordan Ashley was a Rev Soldier, he was with
General Francis Marion in SC at the close of the war were he
settled and married.

John Sanders, Alias Kelly was the natural son of George Sanders
and Agnes Kelly b 1742.
They also had children James, William and David

from microfilm of research of Leonado Andrea
GEORGE SANDERS of Craven co. NC. married AGNES KELLY
in Prince Frederick Episcopal Church of
Craven co, SC. with the baptisms of several of their
children.....
The children of GEORGE SANDERS and AGNES KELLY
SANDERS
John Sanders b. 1741
James Sanders b. 1743
William Sanders b. 1748
David Sanders
George Sanders md. Elizabeth will dated Oct 24, 1819
proved Oct 10 1820
Elizabeth Sanders.... In court records she is called Mrs. Eliz.
Ashley.

20th Aug. 1793 in Camden, Kershaw co.. GEORGE SANDERS for the
love and affection I bear to my daughter, ELIZABETH ASHLEY..A
deed of Gift./wit. Ely Cook, FRANCES ASHLEY, THOMAS ASHLEY.

Virginia Ewing--
listowner: Gober, Perry

This thread: