ASHLEY-L Archives

Archiver > ASHLEY > 2006-07 > 1154221121

Subject: Re: [ASHLEY] Re: William ASHLEY m Mary MORELAND abt. 1795, NC
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2006 20:58:41 EDT

Mike, thanks for your comments. With three Ashley lines I have been an
Ashley researcher for a little over 35 years. My lines go back to probable
brothers Joseph Ashley and William Ashley (both b. ca. 1750) who settled in Surry
Co, NC in the early 1780's. Probably the thing that distinguished these
families the most is the use of the given name Cary in both families.

(1) Joseph had a son Cary b. ca. 1770/1774, died ca. 1811-1815, who married
Mary (unknown) and moved from Surry, NC shortly about 1800. This Cary (older
half brother of my 3rd great grandfather Capt. William J. Ashley (1796-1877)
was in Virginia when his son Welcom Ashley was born in 1801, and in Indiana
when youngest son Cary Ashley was born in 1812. Cary fought in the Battle of
Tippecanoe in 1811. His widow Mary appears on the 1815 Grayson Co, KY tax
list, then when she marries John Phelps in 1820 in Butler Co, KY she is
referred to as the "widow of Cary Ashley" It was Cary's son Welcom Martin Ashley
who married Frances Geary. His son Cary Ashley married Matilda Bratcher.
Other Geary marriages in this family were (a) Elizabeth Almira Ashley (1806-1894)
d/o Cary's brother John Wiley Ashley; she married Mathew Geary in 1825; (b)
Lewis J. Ashley (1828-1898), s/o Cary's brother Richard Ashley; he married
1st Caroline Geary in 1850.

(2) Joseph's probable brother William Ashley had sons Rev. William Ashley
(1783-1852), Robert Ashley (ca. 1780-1820's), Howel Ashley (1784-after 1840),
and an unidentified male born between 1774 and 1790). Son Rev. William Ashley
named his first son born in 1805 - Cary Ashley. This Cary Ashley's only
marriage was to Frances Roten. This Cary's sister Frances (Ashley) Ashley
(1808-1896) was the second wife of Capt. William J. Ashley (1796-1877) whose first
wife was Nancy Maxwell. Cary also had a brother John Spencer Ashley
(1814-1894) who married Comfort Roten, sister of Cary's wife Frances Roten. John
Spencer Ashley had a son Cary Ashley (1845-1914) Confused yet?

The given name Cary has been used in both the Joseph Ashley and William
Ashley families up to the current generation.

William Ashley and Joseph Ashley of early 1780's Surry Co, NC may be the
same William and Joseph that were in Orange Co, NC in the 1770's, but I have no
proof of that. Joseph's oldest son Edward did marry Jemima Fitch in Orange
County. Based primarily on census records supplemented with family records,
William children other than Rev. William, Robert and Howel were Mary Ashley b.
ca. 1775 who married Isaac Money, Betsy Ashley born prior to 1790 who
married Isaac Moreland, and two unidentified females born prior to 1790. Some
evidence points to William and Joseph being born in what was then Albemarle Co,
VA. About the time of their births a John Ashley of Albemarle Co, VA was
associated with a Henry Cary. It is possible that John is the father of Joseph
and William and that their mother may have been a Cary. At least one Virginia
record as reported by Jeff Weaver indicates that they probably had a brother
Cary Ashley also.

Ron Blevins

In a message dated 7/29/2006 7:19:20 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,