AUS-CONVICTS-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-CONVICTS > 2007-02 > 1172056586

From: "MargM" <>
Subject: Re: [AUS-CON] John Lowther
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 22:16:26 +1100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gladys" <>
To: <>
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, 2007 7:17 PM
Subject: [AUS-CON] John Lowther

Hi Gladys

I have read your message a couple of times and its not
making much sense.

> I am new to the list and would be grateful for any info
> you may have about the Lowther family.
>
> John Lowther shot my husbands great grandfather and
> another gamekeeper in December1893 at Loftus.

Is that date correct or a typo ?

Where is Loftus ????????????????

The only Loftus I know of is a S W suburb of Sydney NSW

The other gamekeeper died and Lowther was to hang but the
sentence was commuted to life. In one of the reports on
his trial it stated that 40 years ago almost to the day
Lowther's father shot and killed a gamekeeper in a nearby
wood and was transported to Australia. When he arrived in
Australia he tried to escape into the bush and was shot
and killed. It also said that John's grandfather met a
violent death in a railway tunnel. I do not have his
first name or any details about him. I would love to know
his name and if he had more children.

What is the source of the above info ???????

Only 1 x John LOTHER came to NSW as a convict and that was
in 1800 per Royal Admiral 1 (2) . He'd been convicted of
something in 1798 , got life and was 23 yo

> Gladys.

When posting on a mailing list is really is a good move
to give a clue as to where you are in the world more so
if its a foreign list as this one certainly is for you

Someone could have a go at answering this and not notice
your email address and suggest to go to the NSW State
Library or some similar place , which obviously would be
difficult !

bye

MargM
Beautiful NSW Central Coast