AUS-CONVICTS-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-CONVICTS > 2007-02 > 1172109449

From: "Glenys Gordon" <>
Subject: [AUS-CON] John CLARK Alias HOSIER
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:57:29 +1000

Hello fellow Listers,

I'm hoping someone out there may be able to help me with a query regarding the above 1st Fleet convict. He was sentenced in 1785 and came out on the Scarborough. He apparently used the names of John/James and Charles and on the Old Bailey record he has the alias of Hosier. I have found him in records for Norfolk Island and at one time he was "married" to a Susannah Huffnell. I haven't been able to determine whether he had any children with Susannah. At a later date Susannah went on to marry another fellow by the name of William Baker. I'm not too sure what has happened to John Clark after Norfolk Island. I believe he may have been in the Illawarra district for an unknown period of time and may have ended up in the Maitland District probably Murrurundi. There were Clark/e's in Murrurundi, but none that fit the bill for the fellow I'm looking for. He may have had a child Peter, but I haven't been able to find any record of a Peter that fits the time period I'm looking for.

A couple of questions I have:

1. On the State Records NSW web site with regard to the names listed for the 1841 Census. Has anyone accessed one of these films - in particular the one for the Illawarra district? I am wondering whether it actually gives names for other people including children, living at the same residence, or does it only give the numbers. Does anyone know if a copy of this Microfilm is available anywhere in Brisbane?

2. John Clark was sentenced to 7 yrs transportation in 1785. Therefore his sentence should have been completed in 1792 (providing he didn't reoffend at some stage). To date I haven't been able to locate any records that cover that timeframe for Certs of Freedom etc. What usually happened after a convicts sentence period had expired? John Clark appeared to remain on Norfolk after his sentence had expired. (I'm assuming his sentence commenced from when it was imposed and not when he was shipped out to Australia.)

I'm hoping to get down to Sydney in March. Does anyone know if there are additional convict records available for an earlier period of time, that aren't indexed on-line?

Thanking you in anticipation.
Glenys

This thread: