AUS-CONVICTS-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-CONVICTS > 2007-02 > 1172453296

Subject: Re: [AUS-CON] Which James Dodd??
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 12:28:16 +1100

Hi Paddy

Not sure how serious you are about finding more about Mary, I have
told you a couple of times now about the affidavit of her father John
regarding her marriage to James DODDS, the State Archives of NSW have
the info and they can copy and send it to you.

At this time letters to the Col Sec usually included a bio of the
author giving how long they had been in the colony and what ship they
arrived on etc. This affidavit should be quite revealing.

>From the State Archvies of NSW web site
"LEISTER, John
1825 Sep 19
Affidavit re marriage of his daughter Mary to James Dodds (Reel
6028; 2/8305 p.163)"

Also you imply below that he wasn't a convict as he was a constable -
not so many of the convicts in the colony became Constables... A very
different time to now it is important not to make assumptions based
on how our systems work today.

There are various spellings possible for Mary's surname -

The only Mary of LESTER, LEISTER, LEICESTER, LEYCESTER, LESCESTOR,
LISTER in the following two books are:

General Muster and Land and Stock Muster of 1822 page 290.

A12748 Leicester, Mary
Age: 15
Ar. Stat.: BC (born colony)
Occupation: Servant
Employer etc.: R Campbell Jr
Where: Sydney

General Muster and List 1823, 1824, 1825 page 336.
29414 Leicester, Mary
Age: 19
Stat.: BC (born colony)
Occupation Employer etc.: daughter of Leicester, Constable
Where: Sydney

Both ages for this person match the death in 1839 aged 33 and tie in
with the Rookwood contacts which link your Ellen DODDS to Mary and
James whom married in 1825.

It is important to remember that at the time Mary was born, abt
1806/7, many baptismal records have not survived and not all were
christened.

Cannot find any Mary's in the other early Muster's but the only
John's to match her father are

General Muster and List 1823, 1824, 1825 page 337.
29340 Leister, John
Stat.: FS (Free by Servitude)