AUS-IMMIGRATION-SHIPS-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-IMMIGRATION-SHIPS > 2002-04 > 1019890232

From: Bill Balodis <>
Subject: Re: [AUS-IMM-SHIPS] CLARE-LIVERPOOL-MELBOURNE- ALMORA (John POWER & Bridget HALLORAN)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 16:50:32 +1000

Dear Rob,

The Almora sailed from Liverpool on the 6th October 1857 and arrived in
Melbourne 30th December 1857. It was a fully rigged sailing ship (cross
sails on all masts) of 1248 gross tons. It was built in Quebec from oak
and tamarack in 1853, and owned by Gould and Co. in Liverpool. As yet I
have not found a picture of the ship.

Our relatives came from the County of Limerick, but I have not found any
information how they reached Liverpool. Neither have I found any
passenger diaries from the Almora.

A booklet published by the Polly Woodside Melbourne Maritime Museum,
"Early Immigrants to Victoria" by Barbara Cohen, gives a good general
picture of these sailing ship journeys. They were not fun.

Something which may be of general interest.
The Almora Passenger List is available from the Victorian Public Records
Office, and the passenger names can be found on the Unassisted Immigrant
Index. But then, at the PRO I also found a Disposal List for this
journey of the Almora. This most probably means that they were actually
Assisted Immigrants. The Disposal List (it was prepared in Melbourne)
has more information about the people than the official Ship's Passenger
List.

Bill Balodis