AUS-KOORI-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-KOORI > 2008-01 > 1199710675

From: Philippa Scarlett <>
Subject: Re: [AUS-KOORI] Warangesda - John Bamblett
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 23:57:55 +1100

Hi Jon

The Bambletts were an important Warangesda family and there are many
descendants in NSW and Victoria - and elsewhere. I know some have
compiled a family history - perhaps you have this but from memory
it does not go into the detail you are looking for - Camp of Mercy
also does not have the detail you seek - - there is more
comprehensive information about the Bambletts in Riverina Aboriginals
by the same authors - Don and Beverley Elphick . This gives Bamblett
births deaths and marriages at more locations than Warangesda - and
shows that a number of the children of Jack and Mary were born at
Warangesda - These children then married mainly to Wiradjuri people
but for them to be born and their parents to have been able to live
at Warangesda Jack must have been Aboriginal. Peter Read's 100
Years War has some information about the Bambletts - describes Jack
Bamblett vaguely as from Queensland but it also does not have
information to help you.I don't know of any other relevant books .The
Warangesda mangers diary is not informative about Jack Bamblett .I
can check with Bamblett descendants that I am in touch with to see if
they can help but you may already have access to their information.

Mary Bambletts parent were named John Cameron and Effie Mclean on her
death certificate ( information from Rivrerina Aboriginals) - both
good Scottish names presumably this certificate would have her
country of birth at least and a guess at how many years she had been
in Australia. I have always heard she was a Scottish nurse.

There were and are Aboriginal Freemans in the Tumut area - and
Brungle Aboriginal Station which has links with Warangesdav
but Susan /Sarah Freeman's death at Stroud suggests she would not
be connected to this family,

Can you tell me how you found Jack's brother Daniel?

Philippa