AUS-MILITARY-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-MILITARY > 2002-07 > 1025931144

From: Phillip MURPHY <>
Subject: Re: Flags & battle honours of 9th Battalion AIF
Date: Sat, 6 Jul 02 14:53:01 -0000

>Hi
>Can anyone tell me the colors / flags / battle honours of the 9th Battalion
>AIF for WW1.
>
>thanks
>
>Derek

G'day Derek,

I haven't seen an answer, so here goeas a partial one.
The actual 9 Australian Infantry Battalion A.I.F. did not have any
Colours (never referred to as "flags" in military circles).
9 Australian Infantry Battalion A.I.F. was granted a number of Battle
Honours for WW1.
Unfortunately, I do not have the full list to hand.
They do include -
"Landing at ANZAC"
"Defence of ANZAC"
"Pozieres"
"The Somme"
"Bullecourt"
"Menin Road"
"Amiens"
"The Hindendurg Line"
"Ypres 1917"
"Hazebrouck"

The Battle Honours are emblazoned on succeeding units who have been
accredited with their lineage deriving from 9 Australian Infantry
Battalion A.I.F. This currently is 9 Battalion, The Royal Queensland
Regiment (actually in recent times a combined unit 9/49 Battalion, the
Royal Queensland Regiment).

WW1 Battle Honours are emblazoned on the unit's Queens Colour (the senior
colour, as the monarch's colour - king or queen, with precedence over the
regimental colour, which displays the unit's WW2 battle honours).

There is an abberation to the above, in that the various units
(battalions) of The Royal Queensland Regiment all display common battle
honours on their colours, those earned by units from that state. There
is some additional inclusion of battle honours specific to the particular
unit alone. Some examples to illustrate this are that all the battalions
of The Royal Queensland Regiment display the battle honour "Landing at
ANZAC", although earned only by 9 Australian Infantry Battalion A.I.F.
(for Queensland units, with the other state battalions of 3 Infantry
Brigade). The colour also includes the battle honour "South Africa
1899-1900" - granted to all states units in recognition of the various
states' contingents to the Boer War. None of them have ineage from those
units.

However, given the above paragraph explanation, the actual battle honours
accredited to / earned by 9 Australian Infantry Battalion A.I.F., are
those I have listed above.

Not all battle honours won by a unit are emblazoned on their colours (the
number being limited.

The curent 9 Battalion The Royal Queensland Regiment also is custodian of
the battle honours won by 9 Australian Infantry Battalion 2nd A.I.F.
(initially 9 Australian Infantry Battalion A.M.F.), and 2/9 Australian
Infantry Battalion 2nd A.I.F. for WW2. These include "Milne Bay" earned
by 9 Australian Infantry Battalion A.M.F., the first defeat of the
Japanese in WW2.

Best Wishes
Phillip MURPHY

This thread: