AUS-MILITARY-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-MILITARY > 2005-03 > 1111287187

From: "Ted HARRIS" <>
Subject: Re: Field Companys
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 12:53:07 +1000

The Engineers have many roles.

" We make and we break" is an unofficial motto of the Gingerbeers.

A Field Squadron would be involved in bridge building, road making, blowing
things up and making basic buildings and other small engineering jobs.

A Field Company would be attached to a larger Infantry unit to supply
engineering expertise.

A Company is a very small unit. Several Companies make up a Squadron. A
Squadron is a small unit but obviously bigger than a Company. Several
squadrons make up a Regiment but rarely would a Regiment all be in the same
place at the same time.

Engineers rarely get any glory. ( I am a former Sapper as well as a former
Infantryman). The books are written about the "fighting" units and the
support units like the Engineers are usually in such small numbers that
little is said about them except references in books about larger (usually
Infantry) units.

Cheers,
Ted Harris