AUS-MILITARY-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-MILITARY > 2005-03 > 1111533992

From: "Graham & Vera McKenzie-Smith" <>
Subject: Re: Field Companys
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 07:26:32 +0800

Rob

You have been busy reearching - I will send you the database printout for
2/5 Fd Coy later today.

Just a few corrections to Ted's contribution.

In WW2 Field Coys were the basic engineer unit and one was attached to each
infantry brigade. The engineers in a division included three Fd Coys and a
Field Park Coy which held the stores and ran a workshop. Each coy was made
up of three sections, and one section could be attached to an infantry
battalion if needed. Not all Fd Coys were actually attached to brigades as
the head engineer for the division (known as the Commander Royal Engineers
(CRE)) would allocate his resourses as needed to do all the jobs that were
needed.

For the armoured and motor divisions the equivalent unit was the Fd Sqn
which had a similar role to the Fs Coy but with a slightly different
structure reflecting the different tasks likely to be needed from the unit.

There were also Army Fd Coys which were used outside the divisional
organization as well as Army Troops Coys that had a similar role in the rear
areas. There were no regiments in the RAE structure in WW2 although in more
recent times all RAE units are now squadrons and are grouped into engineer
regiments.

Any further queries give me a call

Cheers

Graham McKenzie-Smith