AUS-NSW-Hunter-Valley-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-NSW-Hunter-Valley > 2003-06 > 1055905074

From: anne marie mobbs <>
Subject: [HV] SHANNAHAN/SHANAHAN
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:57:54 +1000

Hello Listers,

I am trying to solve a mystery to either a close friend or family connection to the Sweeney family of Black Creek.

My query concerns an Isabella Shannahan, who in 1862 was witness to the burial of Susannah Jackson, daughter of John Jackson jnr and Catherine Sweeney, with Catherine's brother, who called himself John Corbett.

In 1927 Isabella's signature was noted on the Death Certificate of William Raisbeck, the 2nd husband of Catherine's sister Bridget. Other informant/witness was Roy Richardson. (grandson of Bridget Sweeney/Freel/Raisbeck)

The friendship may have revolved around the "Bush" Inn, or Tavern of Anvil Creek.

William's Grandfather was William Bowen, founder of Black Creek/Branxton and an early licensee of the Bush Inn, and later Thomas Raisbeck was a licensee. It is noted that a John Shanahan was also connected in 1854.

I have found the following children to a couple John & Isabella Shannahan of Black Creek so think this might be the same family.

John born 1852 V1852 1483 69
Sussanah born 1857 Ref 8401.
Thomas died 1939 parents: John & Isabella - Maitland West - ref 28168

Unfortunately I have been so far unable to find any marriage of John to Isabella or either's death.

I would be most grateful for any information and would be prepared to copy the documents in my possession. I am still looking for 2 siblings to the Sweeney family.

ANNE

This thread: