AUS-NSW-SE-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-NSW-SE > 1999-01 > 0916355298

From: "Roger & Helen Hanson" <>
Subject: Re: BUCKETT, SMITH & many more!
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 10:08:18 +1100

In Australia looking for:
AHERN, ANDREWS, BECKETT, BUCKETT, DONOVAN,
DOWLING, DUGGAN, EMERSON/EVERSON, HEFFERNAN, LEDWIDGE, LEHNEY,
LILLY, McCARTHY, McCOURT, McCAULIFFE,
McGUIRE, MAHER, MALONEY, MELVILLE, MONCK, MOORE, O'BRIEN, PAYNE, PENNY,
QUINLAN, ROWLANDS, SMITH( Illawarra & Pambula), THORN, WOODGER.
```````````````````````````
Hello Lorraine,
My goodness they were a wild lot!
Jacob BUCKETT went insane after he was evicted by CARRUTHERS (who apparently
had quite a few problems with the locals). He died a few months later in
Tarban Creek Asylum. Poor man, I always felt very sorry for him he had a
dreadful life, which fell apart again when he was just getting on his feet.
His son, James didn't get on with the stepfather and ran away.
I must get to Kiama soon .There seems to be a lot to find out. Where would
you recommend that I start? I have read the McCaffrey Papers. Are there any
Personality Files?
We have
William SMITH Convict b c1777 Cavan,Ire. arr.1822 Isabella (2) d. 1856
Wollongong
Mary SMITH nee MCGUIRE m 1802 Aughanamullen,MON.
Children
1 Bridget d1870 Fairy Meadow m 1830 Ire.
James McCOURT
Son William b1851 Ire. d 1913 Sydney m Elizabeth GALBRAITH of Berrima
Speaker NSW Legislative Assembly

2 James McGUIRE b 1808 Fermanagh Ire.d 1914 Millingandi m.1836
Ann Maria THORN ( g.dau.of 2nd Fleet convict William THORN)
17 children (give or take a few)
2.1 William = Ann DOWLING
2.2 James
2.3 John = Catherine TAYLOR
2.4 Andrew = Jane Smith WOODGER
2.5 Mary Winifred = James BUCKETT
both d.Pambula
2.6 Anne = Alfred Lees SMITH?
2.7 Patrick d 1867 Jamberoo
2.8 Catherine m Jesset Smith WOODGER
2.9 Bridget
2.10 Rosanna
2.11Esther
2.12 Ellen m Alfred PAYNE d Qld.
2.13 George m Mary McCARTHY in Glen Innes
2.14 Michael m Lucilla I MELVILLE in Braidwood
2.15 Rebecca Jane m John F MONCK lived Whipstick
2.16 McGuire d 1882 Jamberoo

3 Catherine b Ire. d 1878 Wollongong m 1827
William AHERN

AHERN Children
Bridget, Mary, Anne, Julia, William, Catherine, Jane, Elizabeth, Ellen,
Thomas, John, James, Tresa, Patrick.

Spouses names
Denis RYAN, James DUGGAN, Patrick HEFFERNAN, John LEDWIDGE, Honora DONOVAN,
Samuel FOLEY,
Henry McCOURT, Edward ROWLANDS,Celia LEHNEY, Catherine LILLY, Thomas MOORE

4 Mary d. 1877 m Thomas MAHER

MAHER Children b 1839 -1859
John, Ellen, Thomas, James, Ann, Mary

5 Anne d. 1880 m 1837 Captain John ANDREWS

ANDREWS Children b 1841-1862
John, Edward, Anne Marie, Elizabeth, Francis, Jane, Roger, Rachel

That should take some of the SMITHs out and narrow the field slightly for
others who are struggling with SMITHs.
Thanks for your help.
Helen in Armidale.
````````````````````
>>Hi All,
>>Happy Hunting in 1999.
>>I'm looking for descendants of:
>>1. Jacob BUCKETT (1809- 1859) and Margaret nee PENNY. They married in
1847
>>in Wollongong and had five children, all born in Kiama.
>>Mary b 1847 = 1870 Michael QUINLAN
>>James b 1849 = 1874 Mary Winifred SMITH
>>Sarah b 1851 =
>>John b 1853 = 1883 Julia McCAULIFFE
>>William J. b 1856 = Mary J.

>>The BUCKETT & SMITH families moved to the South Coast, particularly
>Pambula,
>>in the 1879s.
>>I have found a lot of the descendants of James & Ann Maria SMITH. I'm
>>looking for more & particularly the descendants of female SMITH lines.
>>Finding SMITHS is not easy.
>>The other connected surnames that I know are AHERN & MAHER in the
>>Wollongong, Kiama & Jamberoo districts.
>>Helen
````````````
Lorraine wrote
>>Re Bucket- I presume you know that Jacob Bucket died in Tarban Creek in
>late 1859 and Margaret remarried Patrick Maloney.
>From the Kiama Examiner 13th October 1860 Margaret was cautioning anyone
>against harbouring her (then 11 year old) son James who had run away from
>home.
>Prior to Jacob's dwelling place being Tarban Creek he and Margaret had had
>few problems with the local landholder Carruthers (assault cases back and
>forth and ejectment case), James Brandon who served various notices and
>Allen (the Jamberoo storekeeper and his brother) for assault, this time by
>the Allens and medical expenses claimed in the court of requests as
>necessary from the assault.
>The Buckets also had problems with the use of the English language (obscene
>and insulting), in paying wages to their employees and against each other
>for sureties to keep the peace (From Kiama Court records)
>Also from the Examiner 15th February 1860 Mrs Bucket is selling cows and
>farm items, presumeably to join Patrick Maloney.
>>A Thomas Maher appears in the court records in 1858 having problems with
>his employer James Harvison and a Philip Maher for drunkeness and
assaulting
>police in the execution of their duty.
>Robert Ahern was arrested on warrant in 1857 for absconding from the
service
>of James McIllwraith.
>As you say there are several Smith families in the Jamberoo, Kiama area and
>it is almost impossible to divide them into family groups.
>
>Lorraine Neate

This thread: