AUS-NSW-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-NSW > 2001-08 > 0998113303

From: Lorette Lovejoy <>
Subject: Re: "NORMANHURST"
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 22:41:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi
NORMANHURST SCHOOL
Has as its beginning Bland St Ashfield, Dr Corlette
wrote to England to a Miss Ellen Clarke to found a
school for young ladies, she took up the challenge,
established school in a cottage Bland street Ashdfield
and prospered 1886.
Purchased a block of land from Mark Hammond corner of
Chandos and Orpington Streeets and built a large plain
two storey building for day and boarders. officially
non-demoninational.
Maintained strong links with Saint JOhns.
By 1888 enrolment had risen to 100. in the next year a
cottage was purchased in Orpington street to provide
further sleeping accommondation and room for a
kindergarten.
Ellen Clarkes sister Marion worked at the school for 6
months before leaving to found "Abbotsleigh" both
schools flourished during 1890.
Normanhurst attracted boarders from as far afield as
Hong Kong as well as extensively north of the
Continent.
School closed 1941 just short of its 60th anniversary

I am not sure where I found the above information
sadly its another one where I have forgotten to write
down the source.

Normanhurst Pupils
Margaret Arthur
Katie Arthur
Marie Perkins
Teen Peterson Pederson known as Bimba Edkins

The above Margaret Arthur and Katie Arthur (sisters)
are in my family tree.
I have a book "The Arabian Nights" selected edited and
arranged for young people by Frances Jenkins Olcott.
published 1913
This was awarded to Katie Arthur Christmas 1913 as a
special prize for Art & Design (m Collins)
The motto of Normanhurst Strive & Thrive
------
Katie Arthur also attended HObart Ladies College a
book prize she received there was "Selections from
Ruskin" for Excellent answering in Theory of Music
A Rea Principal 1917
I would be interested in any information about this
college
other sisters of Margaret and Katie attended PLC
Pymble and Claremont Randwick
Lorette