AUS-PT-JACKSON-CONVICTS-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-PT-JACKSON-CONVICTS > 2001-07 > 0996203973

From: "Paul & Lorene Paterno" <>
Subject: [PJ] M for Thomas MURPHY
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:19:33 +1000

Hello Everyone,

A Thomas MURPHY was listed as the father of my female ancestor's 2nd child.
I am not sure whether this is the fellow but age, whereabouts etc, indicate
he might be. My female ancestor was Hannah TINDALL b. Yorkshire 1806
[daughter of John TINDALL, convict - Indian 1810 and Charlotte THOMPSON,
free - Friends 1811]. Hannah's 1st husband was James Wheeler SHARLAND [m.
1822]. Unsure how this marriage ended. She then ended up with my ancestor
William James NEWHAM and had many children.

Name:Thomas MURPHY
Ship/ Arr: Lord Sidmouth / 1819
Born/Died: b. about 1799, Cork, Ireland. Death - unknown
Married -defacto Hannah SHARLAND nee TINDALL about 1830 b. Howden, Yorkshire
1806
Place of abode: Nepean; Evan
Children: William MURPHY b. 17.8.1830 Nepean, d. 29.12.1907 Wangaratta, Vic
Married - Mary Ann OLIVER b. abt 1846 Orleaton, Hersfordshire, England.
Married at Sandford, Vic 1862.

In the 1828 Muster this above Thomas MURPHY is listed as living in Evan
[which is where Hannah lived] and working for a Thomas SHADOW.

If anyone has more information on this couple I would love to hear.
Regards
Lorene

This thread: