Archiver > AUS-PT-JACKSON-CONVICTS > 2003-08 > 1060183172

From: "Rhonda Brownlow" <>
Subject: [PJ] James Bloodworth 1st Fleet "Charlotte"
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 01:19:32 +1000


James Bloodsworth arrived on THE FIRST FLEET aboard 'THE CHARLOTTE'.

He and Sarah Bellamy who also arrived on THE FIRST FLEET had seven children
one of whom was Ann Bloodsworth who married Thomas BRAY. It is not know if
James Bloodsworth and Sarah Bellamy ever officially married. The number of
children they had is also uncertain as the extract below from THE SYDNEY
GAZETTE 25/3/1804 states that he left "a widow and five children, the
youngest an infant now only one week old;"
James Bloodsworth was a first fleeter. The son of Robert Bloodsworth and Ann
Baker. He was convicted at Kings-upon-Thames of the theft of one game cock
and two hens at Esher Surrey,and sentenced to seven years transportation.


On Wednesday last died, generally lamented, Mr. James Bloodsworth, for many
years Superintendent of Builders in the Employ of Government. He came to the
Colony amoung its first inhabitants in the year 1788, and obtained the
Appointment, from his exemplary conduct, shortly after his arrival; the
first house in this part of the Southern Hemisphere was by him erected, and
most of the Public Buildings since have been under his direction. To lament
his loss he has left a widow and five children, the youngest an infant now
only one week old; and the complaint which terminated in his dissolution was
supposed to proceed from a severe cold contracted about two months ago.
Died 21 January 1804 Buried Old Sydney Buriel Ground 23 January 1804
The Attention and concern which prevailed at the internment of the deceased
was sufficient testimonies of the respect with which he filled and the
integrity with which he uninterruptedly discharged the duties of a Public
Trust during so long a period........ His Excellency was pleased to order
other marks of attention to so ??????? a Servant of the Crown.
Four in the afternoon of Friday being at the wish of the widow appointed for
the Funeral, the Relics of the deceased were at that hour removed from his
house in South Street, and conveyed to the place of internment attended by a
great number of friends, amoung whom were most of the Sydney Loyal
Association, in which he had been appointed Sergeant.

Opposite to his old residence a Procession was formed, which moved in the
following order:-
12 of the Loyal Association, arms reversed
Serjeant of the Association
Drum muffled & Fife
Two sons, chief Mourners followed by an
infant daughter
Fourteen Female Mourners
Twenty-four male Mourners
A number of respectable inhabitants in Rank
The Non Commisioned Officers of the N.S.W. Corps
And a Crowd of spectators
When near the burial ground the Association were obliged to file off, for
the accommodation of the friends of the deceased, and the populace, who were
become very numerous; and when the remains were deposited approached the
grave and performed Military Honors."

BLOODSWORTH (Bloodsworth) JAMES (d. 1804 ), master bricklayer and
builder, was living in Kingston-on-Thames, England, in 1785 when sentenced
to seven years transportation. In 1788 he was taken to Australia in the
First Fleet in the "CHARLOTTE" and was immediately appointed Master
Bricklayer in the settlement at Sydney Cove. Since there were no architects
in the fleet he was largely responsible for the design and erection of
Australias first buildings, although the Army and Navy officers in the
settlement had some knowledge of Architecture.
Besides designing many private houses, Bloodsworth can be credited with the
first Government House, which lasted from 1788 to 1845, and in 1790 the
storehouse at Kings Wharf on the shore of Sydney Cove. Governor Phillip
praised "the pains he had taken to teach others the business of a
bricklayer", and his conduct was exemplary at a time when most convicts were
noted for indolence and rebelliousness. Bloodsworth worked under
difficulties; although there were competent bricklayers amoung the convicts,
they had no proper mortar to bind the bricks together. For the walls of
Government House some lime mortar was obtained by burning shells, but
elsewhere mud-mortar had to be used. This was far from satisfactory, but by
adapting his construction methods to these crude conditions he produced
servicable buildings, which were by no means unseemly, because he was
working within the long established rules of Georgian architecture.

Bloodsworth was pardoned in 1790 and on 1st September 1791 was appointed
superintendent over all the brickmakers and bricklayers. The next year he
was offered rehabilitation to England, but he refused. In 1803 when offered
a choice of employment at Port Phillip or the Derwent he again refused,
preferring to remain in Sydney. In 1802 he had become a sergeant in the
Sydney Loyal Association, a great mark of respect to a former convict. At
that time he was farming his grant of 50 acres at Petersham; Later he
increased his holdings to 245 acres. By Sarah Bellamy who came in the LADY
PENRHYN, he had seven children. Although he had the asset of his farm and
his government salary of £50, he was insolvent when he died of pneumonia on
21st March 1804, at his house in what was later called O'Connell Street,
Sydney. Because of the high regard the settlers had for him, Governor King
ordered that he be given the nearest the young colony could provide to a
State Funeral. The Sydney Loyal Association escorted the cortege with
muffled drums, and the body was laid in the town cemetery with military
honours. He was survived by two sons and two daughters.

James Bloodsworth arrived on the "CHARLOTTE" with the First Fleet. He had
been tried at Kingston on Thames Quarter Sessions on the 3rd October, 1785,
and received a sentence of 7 years.

(I now know they never married as he was already married to Jane Marks and
had other children.


This thread: