AUS-PT-JACKSON-CONVICTS-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-PT-JACKSON-CONVICTS > 2005-05 > 1115709776

From: "Ross Sneddon" <>
Subject: Re: [PJ] Convict Trades
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 17:22:56 +1000

Hullo Joan

I am also a descendant of Simeon Lord and Mary Hyde and very interested in
their history as well. I do not know where the truth lies and I am
continuing with the research but the information I have seems to indicate a
slightly different story.

The story I have is that Simeon's mother married "beneath her station in
life" when she married a weaver in the factory producing mostly cotton
cloth. The family did not own the factory, however, her family were of some
means and gave her two or three workers cottages to supplement their income
which put them in a modestly comfortable position. Simon was born maybe
fourth or fifth in the family and early records would seem to indicate that
Simon was the spelling of his name prior to it being changed to Simeon later
in PJ after his arrival. I'll call him Simeon.

Simeon's Uncle was a well to do Member of the House of Commons, with a
knighthood and about sixth in line to have been so honoured by the Crown,
and came to Simeon's assistance at the time of his arrest although he was
not able to have the charges laid aside. Simeon was found guilty of
stealing 21 lengths of cotton and muslin cloth. It was also alleged that he
resisted arrest (by factory workers who were tipped off?) and a hand gun was
seen in evidence. The arrest and story surrounding this event are very
suspicious and some say that Simeon was unpopular with his fellow workers
and it was all a set up. We may never know.

It is suggested his Uncle, who lived in Dobroyde Castle in England, visited
Simeon on board the Thames Hulk until his departure and gave Simeon much
advice, a full suit of clothes, boots and a money belt containing 50
Sovereigns on departure. This was Simeon's new start in life.

The suburb of Haberfield was property formerly owned by Simeon and named by
him as Dobroyd, and spelled without the "e", in recognition of the
assistance given by his Uncle. Dobroyd Head in Clontarf / Balgowlah Heights
was also similarly named.

So Simeon was a cloth salesman, who on arriving in PJ served his time,
became a Trader, Auctioneer, Court Magistrate, Landholder, Gentleman Farmer
and Miller to mention but a few of his enterprises including another spell
in goal. He was reported as boasting at one stage that he owned more
property in the colony than anyone else, except the King, even more land
than the Governor. This kind of comment from a former convict did not
endear him to either the Pure Merino Establishment or the Governor himself.

Now Mary Hyde was also an interesting person. I doubt that she was a
Housekeeper for long if at all as another woman convict was assigned to
Simeon to look after the house and another to care for the children. Mary
had two children to John Black, a Navigator / Master Mariner who was lost at
sea in 1803 with his ship, all crew and cargo. Their eldest, a son, went on
to become the Head Cashier or General Manager of the newly formed Bank of
New South Wales (now Westpac). Mary and Simeon had 8 more children
together.

The story goes that Simeon and Mary married only in 1814 as one of the
children, the newly born Edward, was to be baptised in the new font gifted
by Simeon to the Church. However, the Clergyman suggested that they could
not have Edward baptised unless they were married, a service which was
performed with no fanfare, indeed with some degree of secrecy. A witness to
the wedding was William Charles Wentworth. Mary had three more children
after 1814, a total of ten children in all.

I still don't know where Mary was buried.

Regards

Ross