AUS-QLD-SE-Germans-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-QLD-SE-Germans > 2006-02 > 1141044090

From: "Joyce M Steinhardt" <>
Subject: Summer Hill -- Summerholm
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 22:41:30 +1000

Hello Maree in Ipswich,

I just may be able to help you with some of your queries re this school; I
was a pupil at that same little school, and how wonderful to see the name
come up.
Firstly, Summer Hill and Summerholm schools were the same school; the name
change came in 1945 because of the confusion of mail between Summer Hill in
Qld, and Summer Hill in NSW.
My mother remembers writing the letter requesting the name change, (my late
Dad was the ‘Secretary’ of the then School Committee.)

The request for a school in Summer Hill was approved 19th May 1888.
The ‘subscriptions’ you mentioned was the money collected from the folks of
the district to be put toward the building.
The ‘press’ you mentioned very well could have been the cupboard that held
school supplies, and was still in use when I attended school, and was
referred to as ‘the press.’

There were two different school buildings; the first, which your G
Grandfather would have made mention to, was the one at the very southern end
of Summerholm Road; (a road which again now does go right through, and comes
out at Laidley.)

Because there was a creek and a number of small gullies in the area, (it
rained back in those olden days!) and because settlement proceeded to the
north of the school, it was far from centrally situated, it was eventually
decided to have the school moved further to the north.
The request to the department was refused, so a new school was built further
to the north, it was officially opened on the 17th April 1937.
The Summerholm School closed on the 10th July 1955.

The first inhabitants were mostly German, although not all.
I hope this has answered some of the questions for you.
Regards
Joy S
Gatton