AUS-QLD-SE-Germans-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-QLD-SE-Germans > 2007-11 > 1195513558

From: "Alan and Shirley Nitz" <>
Subject: Re: [SEQ-Germans] Lutherans. CofE. Joyful News. SalvationArmy.Presbyterian
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:05:58 +1000

Di
My Great Grandparents arrived on the Cesar Godeffroy in February 1866. I
don't know their religion at that time but in the July-September period of
the Queensland Government Gazette my Great Grandfather (Gottfried Nitz) who
was shown as a Minister of the Particular Baptist Denomination, residing at
Minden, was duly registered as a Minister of Religion and authorised to
celebrate marriages.
Later, in the Post Office Directory of 1892 a list of churches and ministers
appears for the town of Marburg., One entry is : Church of Christ,
Evangelist, G. Nitz.
At that time my Great Grandfather owned land between Marburg and Minden.

I have no idea of what caused the change of religions or whether the
Lutheran faith was ever followed by my Great Grandparents. Just another of
those mysteries still looking for an answer.

Alan Nitz.