AUS-SAGEN-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-SAGEN > 2008-07 > 1216518655

From: "Jenny Cooper" <>
Subject: [AUS-SAGEN] LANGFORD/LANGSFORD
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 11:50:55 +1000

I am aware that there has been research done on families of LANGFORD and LANGSFORD and I am asking for help with the family of a John LANGSFORD and wife Mary Ann.
Mary Ann registered the birth of her grandchild Mary Ann daughter of Thomas COOPER and Elizabeth nee LANGSFORD according to the copy of the birth certificate on 10 Jan 1855.
Thomas' mother was Judith LANGFORD according to research in Norfolk, baptised and married in Terrington St Clement. The name being spelt in Norfolk without the 's'.

I cannot find when John and Mary Ann LANGSFORD came to SA but Elizabeth came out from Norfolk as daughter of William & Judith COOPER in 1848-49.

Thomas and Elizabeth were married on 8 Jan 1853 and Mary Ann was born on 4 Dec1853 at Upper Dry Creek where John ws listed as a farmer.

William COOPER leased land at Auburn for Thomas & wife Elizabeth and family in 1858 and unfortunately Thomas died as a result of a working accident in Oct 1866. Elizabeth & Family stayed in Auburn area. Did father John LANGSFORD help her maintain the property until her sons were old enough to work it? There is a death of a John LANGFORD in 1891. Was he a brother to Judith COOPER making Elizabeth a neice?

I am fully aware that spellings change with who ever may be writing the records, Mary Ann could not write, she signed with a cross on the registration papers and may not have been aware of the wrong spelling of her name.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jenny C

This thread: