AUS-Tasmania-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-Tasmania > 2001-10 > 1004165251

From: Douglas Burbury <>
Subject: Re: [AUS-Tas] FW: Hangings in Oatlands
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2001 17:47:31 +1100

Hi List,

Further to the story of Richard "Long Mick" Ennis:

At 02:22 PM 27/10/01 +1100, Sharmaine Jarvis wrote:
>>Richard Ennis Murder 1857
>
>Who may very well have been innocent of the crime for which he
>was
>found guilty and executed.
>
>Read all about it!!
>
>"Was one of my manyy relatives murdered by Long Mick (alias
>Richard Ennis)?
>http://www.sjarvis1.homestead.com/elizbarw.html

Extract from Chapter 7 of "Chronicles of the Burbury Family", written by
Alfred Burbury in 1939 and published on my website.

'Mr. Maclanachan also told [the author] of the execution of Long Mick for
the murder of George Sturgeon in 1856. Close to the Glen Morey homestead is
a stone which records that "on this spot the body of George Sturgeon was
murdered on July 1856." Some years before I left Glen Morey I bought a
chest of drawers at a sale of furniture, belonging to Charles Sutton at
Hope Farm, Tunbridge, then lately deceased. In one of the drawers we found
a cutting from a newspaper containing an account of the execution of Long
Mick (whose name was Richard Ennis) for the murder of Sturgeon, and of one
Abraham for some other crime. This records that Ennis asserted his
innocence to the last, and that he died game. It was generally believed
that Ennis was not the murderer, but that the real perpetrator of the crime
was a man from a neighbouring sheep station, and that the eternal triangle
had a lot to do with it. Mr. T.A. Tabart once told me that he was certain
that he had seen Ennis on the day of the murder on one of the Fonthill
runs, many miles from where it was committed and whence Ennis could not
have covered the distance from the place he was seen at to have done the
murder. Asked why he had not given evidence at the trial, Mr. Tabart
explained that he was too far away from the man to identify him with
certainty, and had not gone toward him because he was sure it was Long
Mick, who was always armed, and might "stick him up".

'On the Sugarloaf Hill at Glen Morey is "Long Mick's Cave" which still
shows the marks of the chisel employed to cut a hole in the roof of the
cave to allow the smoke to escape, and, plainly also, the smoke begrimed
walls. I have heard that the English clergyman of Oatlands was so convinced
of Ennis' innocence of the murder that he quarrelled with the authorities
about it and left the Colony. That incident occurred eighty-three years
ago, and there is still living, in July, 1939, a man who saw and spoke with
Sturgeon on the morning of his death. When on his way from Oatlands to his
farm at Kittys Corners, Sturgeon called in at the Half Way House and was
served with a glass of rum by the man referred to, John Oakley,
nonagenarian of Oaklington, Tea Tree. Truly a link with the past! '

Douglas

--
E-mail: ------------------ Launceston, Tasmania
http://www.vision.net.au/~dburbury/burbury.htm (Burbury family page)