AUS-Tasmania-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-Tasmania > 2004-06 > 1086703562

From: "Helen Brown" <>
Subject: Re: Captain Walter Synnott
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 00:06:02 +1000

Hello Frank,

Captain Walter Synnot was a son of Marcus Synnot, of "Ballymoyer", co. Armagh, Ireland. Marcus's parents were Sir Walter Synnot and Jane Seton. Sir Walter married twice.
Frederick, Walter and a sister Jane came to VDL with their sister Isabella and her husband John Ogle Gage. Frederick was granted land at Bothwell, "The Hermitage".
John received a grant at Old Beach "Gage Brook". He also ran stock at Bothwell with Frederick Synnot.
Walter and his wife were in Launceston. Jane married James Aitken who was a fellow traveller on board the "Triton" in 1824.
There are lovely paintings of children of this family on the Net. I copied them but didn't keep a reference (as usual!) If you enter "Synnot County Armagh" you should get them.
An interesting family.
Jane Seton was a descendant of John Seton, 1st Baron Parbroath, frined of King Robert 1st.
"GageBrook" is a lovely old house which has recently been restored by Brighton Council. It is not the original house on the property. The 1st burned down.
"The Hermitage" is in good order too.

Helen Brown