AUS-VIC-GEELONG-DISTRICT-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-VIC-GEELONG-DISTRICT > 2000-05 > 0957570427


From: "Susie Zada" <>
Subject: [GEELONG] VMD - #28, #29, #30
Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 09:47:07 +1000


**************************************************************************
* VICTORIAN MEMORIALS DATABASE *
* SET # 2 - 108 RECORDS *
* Region: Barwon *
**************************************************************************

RECORD #28 OF 108
MEMORIAL MOGGS' CREEK PIONEERS MEMORIAL, FAIRHAVEN
REGION Barwon
MUNICIPALITY Barrabool Shire
LOCALITY Fairhaven
LOCATION On a sand dune by Moggs' Creek, originally Bellbird Creek, on
the south side of the Great Ocean Road, Fairhaven.
DESCRIPTION Brick pillar on a stepped brick base on a cement foundation, 2
m high, with inscription: 'This cairn was erected to honour
the spirit of the pioneers who by their efforts have helped
make the dark a little lighter. Moggs Creek forever'. This
monument was set here by the 'Moggs' Creek Clickers'
(Melbourne University Camera Club) as a prank, but many people
believe it to be a genuine memorial.
DESCRIPTORS Fairhaven; Great Ocean Road; Moggs Creek; Bellbird Creek;
Pioneers; Cairns; Photographers; Moggs' Creek Clickers;
Melbourne University Camera Club; Pranks
REC NO. 00713


RECORD #29 OF 108
MEMORIAL FIRST PILOT STATION SITE MARKER, QUEENSCLIFF
REGION Barwon
MUNICIPALITY Queenscliffe Borough
LOCALITY Queenscliff
LOCATION In a lawn garden near pilot station, Gellibrand Street,
Queenscliff.
DESCRIPTION A metal tablet on a square brick base with inscription
indicating the history of the site. Governor Sir Richard
Bourke selected the site in March 1837. From 1839 until 1853
the first licensed pilots lived here in tents and cottages
launching their whaleboats from the beach. Pilot cutters
operated outside the Heads from 1853 to 1975 with the Wyuna,
the last of them replaced by the present pilot station opened
in 1979.
DESCRIPTORS Queenscliff; Pilots; Pilot stations; Site markers; Bourke, Sir
Richard, Governor; Pilot cutters; Wyuna; Foreshore memorials
REC NO. 05751


RECORD #30 OF 108
MEMORIAL KOMET ANCHOR, QUEENSCLIFF
REGION Barwon
MUNICIPALITY Queenscliffe Borough
LOCALITY Queenscliff
LOCATION On the lawn of the foreshore reserve, Weeroona Parade,
Queenscliff.
DESCRIPTION The anchor of the German yacht Komet set at an angle in a
concrete slab with a signboard attached which reads: 'Borough
of Queenscliffe. This anchor was forged in Hamburg in 1911
for the German New Guinea Administrator's yacht Komet. The
yacht was captured in New Guinea by Australian forces in 1914
to become H.M.A.S. Una -- the Port Phillip Pilot Service
acquired the vessel in 1925 and renamed her Akuna. She saw
service in Victoria from 1925 to 1954. Her wheel is installed
in Wyuna, donated by the Port Phillip Pilot Service'.
DESCRIPTORS Queenscliff; Komet; Anchors; Foreshore memorials; Ships;
Germans; Signboards; Yachts; Port Phillip Pilot Service; Una;
Pilot ships; Akuna; Wyuna; New Guinea; World War I
REC NO. 05786




This thread: