AUS-VIC-GEELONG-DISTRICT-L Archives

From: JenniferBantow <>
Subject: Re: [GEELONG] Alexander HAMILTON
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 07:55:31 +1100

Dear Richard

There are quite a few references to Alexander HAMILTON in 'The
Wished-For-Land, The Migration and Settlement of the Manifolds of
Western Victoria' by W. G. Manifold published in 1984. The
Introduction to the book is written by P.L. Brown (former long time
President of the Geelong Historical Society) who says Purrumbete was
'... a principal station founded by one of the earliest and
best-reputed Victorian pastoral families.'

Page 192 ... recommend mills designed by Alex Hamilton of Colac ...
Page 131 ... a photograph reproduced of a mill presumably designed by
Hamilton for Purrumbete ...
[the mill is a wind mill]

Page 196 ...There was now no reason why that sprawling conglomerate
of mostly weatherboard additions and additions to additions which the
homestead had become, should not be put together into something that
could be dignified by the name of a 'Big House'. So the ubiquitous
Alex Hamilton who had done the parsonage additions at Camperdown, and
who had been called upon by the Manifolds to design everything from
drains to windmills from Purrumbete to Boortkoi, now drew up plans
for a fitting residence, and Mr McRae became the successful tenderer

From my reading of Bill Manifold's book which refers at length to
family letters, it looks like HAMILTON is the architect of the 1882
version of Purrumbete, which at that time was being run by Peter
Manifold's nephew Henry Matson. Surprisingly neither the National
Trust Register Citation nor the Heritage Victoria Register Statement
of Significance mention Alexander HAMILTON, so maybe I'm wrong.
Interesting however that Mr McRae was the successful tenderer and
Alexander HAMILTON's second wife was Emma MacRAE.

NATIONAL TRUST OF AUSTRALIA (VICTORIA) REGISTER CITATION
PURRUMBETE
Princes Highway WEERITE
B733
Statement of Significance
The pastoral run Purrumbete was established in December 1838 by John
and Peter Manifold following earlier attempts at settlement near
Geelong (1836-38) and Van Diemen's Land (1831-36). The first slab hut
at Purrumbete was replaced in 1842 with a primitive bluestone and
weatherboard house later integrated into a larger building of the
1850s and finally extensively remodelled and extended in 1901 by
architect Guyon Purchas, with Art Nouveau carving by Robert Prensel.

Purrumbete is the earliest established pastoral run in the Shire of
Hampden and one of the oldest properties in Victoria which has been
occupied firstly by influential early colonist John Manifold and then
by successive generations of descendants since 1838. The family is
recognised for their benefactions and contribution to the development
of the Camperdown district. The homestead is a distinguished design
of Guyon Purchas and most notable for the splendid Art Nouveau
interiors and important historical murals painted by Walter Withers
in 1901.

Purrumbete is meticulously maintained and preserved intact.

Of State significance
Classified - 13/02/1964

HERITAGE VICTORIA STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE
PURRUMBETE HOMESTEAD
PRINCES HIGHWAY WEERITE and 3551 PRINCESS HIGHWAY CAMPERDOWN

VHR NumberH0301
File Number602553 (1-3)
Year Construction Started1842
MunicipalityCorangamite Shire
Municipality 2Corangamite Shire
Extent of RegistrationAll of the place known as PURRUMBETE
HOMESTEAD PRINCES HIGHWAY WEERITE and 3551 PRINCESS HIGHWAY CAMPERDOWN
Architectural StyleFederation/Edwardian Period (1902-c.1918) Art-Nouveau

Spatial Information-38.26708, 143.21979

Heritage Act CategoriesHeritage place

Item Categories
Item GroupItem Category
Farming and GrazingHomestead Complex
Shearers' Quarters
Shed
Residential buildings (private)Homestead building

Statement of Significance
REGISTER OF THE NATIONAL ESTATE - CITATION: THE HOMESTEAD WAS BEGUN
IN 1842 BY JOHN AND PETER MANIFOLD WITH A PRIMITIVE BLUESTONE AND
WEATHERBOARD DWELLING, INTEGRATED INTO A LARGER BUILDING IN THE 1850S
AND EXTENSIVELY REMODELLED IN 1901 BY ARCHITECT GUYON PURCHAS, WITH
ART NOUVEAU CARVING BY ROBERT PRENZELL. IMPORTANT HISTORICAL MURALS
WERE PAINTED BY WALTER WITHERS IN THE SAME YEAR. THE EARLIEST
ESTABLISHED PASTORAL RUN IN HAMPDEN,CONTINUOUSLY OCCUPIED BY THE
MANIFOLD FAMILY SINCE 1838.

Good luck with your research
Jennifer Bantow