AUS-VIC-GEELONG-DISTRICT-L Archives

From: "Susie Zada" <>
Subject: Re: [GEELONG] query re spelling of Corio
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 10:04:08 +1100

Hi Jennie,

The variations I've seen are

Coria - appeared in Vol. 2, "Clyde Company Papers"

Coriai - appeared in "The Lady Squatters" (supposedly aboriginal for
peaceful place)

Korayn \
Korraiyn | from database of Aboriginal Placenames of Victoria
Coraiyo /

Caria \ used by Anne Drysdale (recorded by Lou Lane)
Karia /

Cario \ used by G.A. Robinson, aboriginal Protector (recorded by Lou Lane)
Kario /

So the answer is yes!

Where did you see Cario?

Regards ........ Susie Z