AUS-VIC-GEELONG-DISTRICT-L Archives

From: Marion Stainsby <>
Subject: Re: [GEELONG] AUS-VIC-GEELONG-DISTRICT Digest, Vol 5, Issue 87
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 17:10:42 +1000

On 22/06/2010, at 4:39 PM, Peter Wilson wrote:

> I am seeking assistance in understanding an old occupation.
> I have a 20 year old female residing in Edinburgh described in the
> 1861 Scotland Census as a "leuang Machine Worker". The usual sites
> for old occupations have been no help on this one and I wonder if
> there has been an error in transcribing the occupation from the
> original records to the data on Ancestry.
> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
> Peter Wilson

"Sewing Machine"? Upper case S and L are hard to distinguish, and as
the M and W that follow are upper case anyway I'd suspect this letter
would be a capital too. An extra flourish on the loop of the small w
and it could easily be read as "ua".
But there are some odd words around just the same.

Marion

This thread: