AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS > 1999-07 > 0932945299

From: "Trevor Williams" <>
Subject: Re: Free Church of Victoria, Fitzroy
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 09:28:19 +1000

I believe you may be thinking of the Free Church of England, Victoria, which
was in Moore Street Fitzroy at the time you are talking about.

The word "Free" had nothing whatsoever to do with the charging of fees, or
not charging. It referred to being free of the "establishment". i.e. the
Church of England was the established church, by law. The Free Church was
NOT established. The GSV holds works on this denomination. Call number at
the GSV library is 994.53005 BAL

Trevor