AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-VIC-GOLDFIELDS > 2004-02 > 1077179300

From: "Neil Lewis" <>
Subject: Re: arnold - arnolds bridge?
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:28:20 +1100

Just a footnote to the Arnolds Bridge discussion.

"David Arnold settled at Kangderaar Creek - midway between Tarnagulla and
Inglewood c 1856.
There were no gold crushing machines at Inglewood and the miners had to
transport their rock
east towards Bridgewater so as to cross the Bullabul creek, then they would
head for the
crushing machines at Tarnagulla.
David Arnold decided to shortern the journey and had a track blazed through
the forest having a 'three log
with decking bridge built however this bridge was swept away by a flood.
Arnold then spent 100 pounds
building another bridge to the south and charged a toll of sixpence so as to
recover his costs. A load of
wool drawn by 6 horses is said to be the first to cross the bridge and the
coaches from Talbot, Castlemaine,
Dunolly and Inglewood used it also. David Arnold also owned land near what
was later to become Arnold's
bridge Railway Station."

The above material is contained in the book
"Tarnagulla - The way it was" written by Edna Arnold and I believe her
husband.

Bendigo library has copies and there are photos of the modern "Arnolds
Bridge". taken by the author
in 1947 and 1948. These are Plates 1 and 2 of this book.

The book also contains much interesting detail on many pioneer families in
and around the Tarnagulla,
Newbridge, Dunolly, Waanyarra, Simpsons Creek (now Arnold West), region.

Hope this adds something to the discussion.

Neil Lewis