AUS-VIC-WESTERN-DISTRICT-L ArchivesArchiver > AUS-VIC-WESTERN-DISTRICT > 2010-01 > 1264498118
From: Ada Ackerly <>
Subject: Re: [AUS-VIC-WESTERN-DISTRICT] "Swamp Station" location of ?
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 20:28:38 +1100
George Augustus ROBINSON journeyed to the Campaspe River and Loddon
River areas searching for a suitable site for a Protectorate Station.He
claimed as he passed through these stations: "Ebden has about 100 square
miles, Thorneloe has ? square miles, Goldwin has 90, Munro has 90."
On Jan 17, 1840, he was following the "Major's Line" as he wanted to
view "the falls at Coba" on the Coliban.. From the falls he descended,
passed through a forest, came out onto plains "with a fine view of Mount
Campbell". He crossed the Campaspe at "Monro's crossing" and met up with
"Mr CHRISTIE, Munro's overseer, and Mr LISTON, a distant relation of Mr
Munro, and a sub-overseer. They were all armed, going in pursuit of 36
blacks who had, at 11 a.m. that day, taken away 1500 sheep, 825 ewes and
700 lambs plus flour and meat."
Robinson rode on to Munro's station to stay the night. He said "the
distance from Munro's station to Mt Alexander was 12 miles. The Munros
are in their new home. The land around the station is very miserable and
forbidding. Munro has 350 cattle and 4,000 sheep, he has gone to
Melbourne. Mr Munro bought a bull for £200, has sold fifteen hundred
pounds of cattle, steers, he bought at the old colony for 25/- per head
and sold them for £40 a head."
Next morning Mr Christie returned, saying the blacks had not taken the
sheep, but the shepherds had left the sheep while they slept and wild
dogs had attacked and mauled many, killed many.
In the morning Robinson went towards the mountains and came to a hut one
and a half miles "from the mountains", then went on 2 more miles to a
station "under the mountain, where BOWMAN burnt 700 or so diseased
sheep. The yard and large fireplaces and bones are to be seen now, this
station, formerly Bowman's was Humpelly's run, was called the 12 Mile
Station. Munro bought 1600 diseased sheep, which will disease whatever
sheep are brought here."
And in Latrobe's "Return of Squatting stations" 1841 (VPRS 19, unit 13,
letter 41/551 "Inward correspondence" the following:
Crawford Station, Monro Henry, 25,000 acres, 3 acres cultivated, flock:
5 horses, 18 cattle, 11,000 sheep. Assessed fee £23/2/10. Station 22
miles from Portland.
Hope that's of some use!
Regards Ada Ackerly
Daryl Povey wrote:
> Interested to know if anyone can identify or locate "Swamp Station",
> which was the residence of a couple (Frank LAWRENCE * Mary Ann
> MATHESON) who married at Belfast (Port Fairy) in 1855.
> I cannot locate it in "Pastoral Pioneers of Port Phillip" by Billis &
> Kenyon or "Place Names of Victoria" by Les Blake
> From an 1851 Newspaper advert for the sale of "The Crawford
> Stations" by Henry MONRO it appears to be a part of or adjoinging
> "Crawford Station" at Hotspur - Condah as it was being offered for
> sale as one lot or to be subdivided as listed below.
> The advertisement was in "The Argus" of 1 Feb 1851 and dated
> December, 10, 1850 "The Crawford Stations" were defined as being
> about 90,000 acres and made up of...
> "Home Station" with 10,000 sheep
> "Upper Crawford Station" with 5,000 sheep
> "Swamp Station" with 5,000 sheep
> "Kangaroo Station" with 2,000 sheep and 1,000 cattle
> "Whittlebury Station" with 4'000 sheep
> From this collection I can only assume that perhaps "Swamp Station"
> was the Condah Swamp or Lake Condah (or Lake CONDON as it was known)
> Any ideas?
> Daryl Povey
> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
|Re: [AUS-VIC-WESTERN-DISTRICT] "Swamp Station" location of ? by Ada Ackerly <>|