AUS-VIC-L Archives

Archiver > AUS-VIC > 2008-04 > 1207779057

From: "Graham Lewis" <>
Subject: Re: [AUS-VIC] Authorised agent on death entry
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:10:57 +1000

I think that it's wrong to assume an authorised agent was someone from a
hospital or undertaker - just as likely (or perhaps even more likely) that
it was a friend or neighbour, authorised in writing by widow/mother/son or
whomever to register the event, in order to save making a special trip to do
so him/herself. When the event took place at some distance from the place
of registration it wasn't uncommon for this to happen.

Cheers

Graham Lewis