Archiver > AUSTRALIA > 1998-01 > 0883805101

From: Leo van de Pas <>
Subject: A Western Australian Pioneer (and his wife)
Date: Sat, 03 Jan 1998 13:25:01 +0800

Edward Pomeroy Barrett-Lennard, son of Sir Thomas Barrett-Lennard, 1st
Baronet, and Dorothy St.Aubyn, was born 19 June 1799. On 23 August 1829
he arrived in Western Australia on board the "Marquis of Anglesea". With
him came six servants and soon he was permitted to select 13,220 acres.
Apparently he lost little time and was soon living on his property. On 16
December 1829 he was appointed as a Justice of the Peace for the Guildford
In March 1830 Edward POmeroy Barrett-Lennard joined James Stirling,
some of the other settlers and a detachment of the 63rd Regiment on an
exploration trip up the Collie River to where later on Bunbury was built.
James Stirling named one of the high points "Mount Lennard".
In 1831 he beca,e commanding officer of the Voluntary Yeomanry
which was established to help settlers cope with the Aboriginal problem.
However, this corps was soon disbanded as the settlers could not afford to
give their time.
Edward Pomeroy Barrett-Lennard named his first allotment
"St.Leonards". Here in 1832 he received a visit from Captain Charles
Howe Freemantle who had taken possession of Western Australia in the
name of King George IV.
In 1836 Barrett-Lennard left the colony to return to England,
being one of several landowners going to London to seek amendment
to the land laws. In Cossington, Somerset, on 28 September 1837, he
married Elizabeth Frances Graham. He was 38 years old and she 26.
They returned to the Colony on the "Montreal", arriving on 2 May 1839.
By this time they were accompanied by their first child, Thomas Graham,
who had been christened on 28 September 1838. They were also accompanied
by his 16-year-old nephew, Edmund Thomas Henry Barrett-Lennard, son of
his elder brother, George. Edmund lived with them at St.Leonards for
a few years and then took over the management of St.Aubyns.
One month after their return, baby Thomas died. Six months later
their second child, Edward Graham, was born on 30 November 1839. On
4 May 1840 Edward POmeroy Barrett-Lennard replaced W. L. Brockman on the
Legislative Council but resigned a year later. In 1841 the homestead of
St. Leonards was destroyed by fire. Six months before the fire a third son,
Robert St.Aubyn, was born and, in the next seven years, four more
When the youngest child, Amelia Charlotte, was four years old,
Elizabeth Frances left the colony with her four youngest children and a
servant, never to return, determined to ensure suitable education for
her daughters. Two years later, in 1856, Amelia died not quite six years
old. On 29 March 1857 their third son, Robert St.Aubyn, was killed in
a riding accident on Barker's Bridge at Guildford, aged just fifteen.
The youngest son, William Dacre, who had gone to England, was
a sickly child and returned to Western Australia in the hope that the
mild climate would restore his strength. However, on 3 November 1867,
he too died aged twenty-one. The two remaining daughters, Fanny and
Flora, married in England.
When his holdings were at their peak, he owned 16,000 acres of
freehold land. He bred horses and often had a pure-bred Arab stallion.
He also had cattle and later on imported pure-bred Merinos from England.
However, from the beginning his properties were mortgaged; as well, he
borrowed money through the years so that by 1866 he was bankrupt, unable
to meet his debt through the interest. When it was arranged for all his
possessions to be sold, John Wall Hardey, his son's father-in-law, paid
off his debts.
The one son left to him, Edward Graham, had married Mary Ann
Hardey in 1862 and by 1866 they were the parents of a son and a daughter.
Edward Pomeroy had to transfer his interest in profits and rents from
St.Aubyns and St.Leonard's to Hardey. He never regained either ownership
or control of his properties, yet through all these troubled times he
continued to live at St.Leonards.
For the last eleven years of his life he lived alone in a small
mud cottage close to the main homestead while his wife was still in
England. However, on 23 March 1878 she died in a railway accident at
Bedford, England. Shortly afterwards he also died, on 29 June 1878, aged 79.
According to the diary of Alfred James Hillman: "Old Barrett-Lennard died
today at his place on the Swan, considering the way in which he lived,
it is surprising that he lived to such an age, it can hardly be said
that drink killed him. He ought to have been one of the first men in the
Leo van de Pas

This thread: