AYRSHIRE-L Archives

Archiver > AYRSHIRE > 2001-01 > 0979431750

From: Hugh NanKivell <>
Subject: Kennedys of Bargany
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 08:22:30 +0800

I am trying to research the line of the branch of the Kennedys of
Dunure, Ayrshire, who were the Kennedys of Bargany, near Dailly,
Ayrshire. I understand that they descend from Sir Gilbert Kennedy of
Dunure who lived in the 1300's or 1400's or possibly from a later
Kennedy.

Included in the line I am trying to research are the children of
Alexander Kennedy of Bargany, Dailly, Ayrshire (born circa 1491) and his
wife Mariot Dunbar (born before 1495) of Mochrum. I have four children
recorded, viz. Thomas (who married a Margaret Campbell of Loudoun),
Margaret (Marjery) Sophia (who married (1) William Wallace of Craigie
and (2) Gilbert Kennedy, 3rd. Earl of Cassilis), Janet (I don't know
whether she married or not or had any children), and Gilbert (who seems
to have married and had children).

The LDS records at 'www.familysearch.net' show Thomas, Margaret
(Marjery) Sophia and Janet, but not Gilbert.

A book entitled "The Seven Sons of the Provost" contains a family tree
showing Gilbert as the second son of Alexander Kennedy of Bargany and of
Mariot Dunbar of Mochrum, down to the seven sons and the daughter of Sir
Thomas Kennedy, Lord Provost of Edinburgh for two years during the reign
of King James VII. The eldest of the sons was another Sir Thomas
Kennedy, who for a short period was the Lord Advocate and later a Baron
of the Exchequer.

Any information (including place names and dates) on the line of Kennedy
of Bargany from its beginning down to Alexander's and Mariot's children
and through Gilbert down to Sir Thomas Kennedy the Lord Provost will be
most welcome, as will as any information (including place names and
dates) on Janet and Alexander's and Mariot's elder son Thomas and his
descendants.
(I am descended from Sir Thomas Kennedy the Lord Provost's daughter,
Agnes, who married Colonel Andrew Agnew of Lochryan, Wigtownshire.)
Regards,
Hugh NanKivell

This thread: